• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing me and my bun

hng187

Young Bun
Hi, I am a new bunny owner and am trying to learn everything I can about proper care :) I have a 3 month old bun and he is the sweetest thing ever. I love him dearly. I have no clue what breed he is but I think he may have some lion head in him due to the long hairs at the top of his head and around the face. If you have any ideas please let me know. Also is this hutch big enough for him?
fe947b4ea15547a987387cf07fb15814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's lovely :) welcome. You'll learn a lot here. What's your rabbit's name? He does look to have some lionhead in him.

You asked about the hutch - by standards in the UK it is too small. If it was open 24/7 or attached to a large pen, it would do as a shelter, litter area or hideout. However I'm not too sure on the wire floor. You can visit this page for some really good info on size requirements and why bunnies need space http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Aww he is lovely :love:

But yes I'm afraid that hutch is too small. Check out the housing sticky (top of the housing section) for some great ways to give house buns more space :p

Hi & welcome, yes your very cute little guy looks like a lionhead x. As others have mentioned that hutch is way too small, please look at the RWAF housing guidelines.

Hello and welcome! He is very cute!! At the risk of being repetitive, the hutch is way too small. Rabbits need permanent access to a minimum of 36 square feet of space. You could chop the legs off and use it as a base in a rabbit proofed room, or attach a pen to it to increase the space :)

You might also like to think about adopting him a friend after he is neutered, bunnies love bunny company! :)

Hello and welcome to RU :wave:. Your bunny is really sweet.

Agree with the above that unfortunately the hutch is too small. Wire floors are really not recommended either as bunny can easily get his toes caught causing injury. I would suggest using an old offcut of lino or something similar to go over the top of the wire if you can't remove it from the hutch. There are lots of housing ideas to trawl through on the forum so you can have hours of fun looking at them all for inspiration.

Thank you all :) he does get 7-8 hours outside of the cage so he's not cooped up in there all day. I would let him sleep in my bed if I could haha

A gorgeous little bunny - I have a real soft spot for lionheads :love::love::love:

Have you had a look at the housing threads suggested. 8 hours outside of the hutch means 16 hours a day inside the hutch. The hutch is really too small for your little man to spend so much time in. Attaching a pen to it would make a huge difference so that he could come and go as he pleases.

Good idea! I think I'm going to have my dad build me a bunny palace for him :) I want the best for him. He is the sweetest most affectionate bunny you'll ever meet. And likes to be picked up (How strange is that?!)

For now I'd put some newspaper over the wire so he doesn't possibly hurt his feet or get a toe caught :)

Good idea! I think I'm going to have my dad build me a bunny palace for him :) I want the best for him. He is the sweetest most affectionate bunny you'll ever meet. And likes to be picked up (How strange is that?!)

That sounds like a lovely idea :thumb:. You do occasionally get a bunny who enjoys being picked up and cuddled - my first bunny did. But they're the exception rather than the rule so enjoy your wee chap.

I've realised I didn't answer your question about your bunny's breed - you're right - he looks like a lionhead with that fluffy bit round his head.

What a gorgeous bun!!

I won't cover cage question since it's been covered, but the bunny palace sounds lovely!

Cuddly buns are great, my breeding pair love getting cuddles, and one of my trio does, but the other 2 honestly won't have a bar of it.

Back