• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to buy bale hay in the Aldershot/Reading area?

Where is the best place to buy small bales of hay in the Aldershot/Reading area? I'm prepared to travel a fair distance to get good quality hay - my local place seems to be getting worse.

Hi, I'm going to try B J & Dance animal feeds in Swallowfield, Reading. They do Timothy and Rye hay or Meadow hay in bales for £7.50 a bale as well as smaller amounts of hays, barley straw £4.50 a bale and then beddings etc too.

Hi All, Just seen this and can thoroughly recommend Snack and Tack. Not only is it 3 mins from my house the hay has always been good quality. If you are not happy with the bale they bring out for you you can ask to swap it as I have done with no problems....xx

Thank you, I brought my last bales from there, but the hay seems to be getting softer and softer. Do I need to ask for a specific type?

It is different hay now because they no longer buy from the same local farm. (He's selling his farm apparently - so no more stalky).

I won't be going as often anymore - usually buy 7 bales a week and now I'm stuck too. Might have to go back to BandJ Dance too as my lot are not keen on soft hay at all.

I got a bale from snack and tack today and it was the soft hay,as it was last week,mine dont like it they like the stalky hay,if i put the soft hay in there hay boxes they get hump and just empty them on the carpet :lol:,so will try and source some stalky elsewhere.

I get mine from Eileen Douglas - there are a few dotted around, 6.50 for a bale.

Hi Beckie *waves*

When I found out about the lack of stalky I drove over to Eileen Douglas to get some as I get that for my piggies anyway and atleast it means the buns have variety. It's also very soft but lovely and green isn't it :)

Hi Beckie *waves*

When I found out about the lack of stalky I drove over to Eileen Douglas to get some as I get that for my piggies anyway and atleast it means the buns have variety. It's also very soft but lovely and green isn't it :)

Hello :)

It's ideal for me as I don't really have storage space for more than one full bale at a time, and the rabbits like it too, so happy campers all around!

I will check out this B and J Dance place though - I try to add variety with some of the more "treat" type hays, like Burns, but obviously these are small and expensive in comparison, so this thread has been quite handy!

I see what you mean about the snack and tack hay, having just bought another bale. Its still OK and my buns are getting through it, but not as good as it was before...

I have bought some feed and stuff from this place before, might try it next time to see if they do decent hay bales.... Has anyone been here for hay before? Backhurst in Normandy?xx

http://www.backhurst.com/

Back