• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spontaneous recovery from stasis?!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
First of all I want to say that I'm NOT suggesting anyone avoids seeking vet care for a bunny who isn't eating. But I'd be interested to know if anyone's had a similar experience to me.

I got up yesterday at 7am and Apache took his pellets but wouldn't touch any veg or hay. This is utterly unlike him, he is a piglet and at the slightest rustle of cellophane will act like he's not been fed for hours. But he just went back into his house and sat all hunched up.

I had to go to work because I've just started a new job, but when I got there I persuaded them to give me a half day. So made a vet appointment for later on, worked a few hours then went home fo 11.30.

When I got in he seemed much brighter and ate lots of fresh herbs and some hay and did some (small) poos. :shock: So it seemed as if he was recovering without intervention - does this happen often? I was always under the impression that once they stopped eating, they stopped for good. :?

I took him to the vet anyway 'just in case' and he had a shot of metaclop and was 100% back to normal by 5pm.

matthew, kind of. he's prone if he eats the wrong thing or when moulting. i chase him about (because the running stimulates the gut), tempt him with herbs and dandelion. he's usually right after half a day. i learned this after several expensive vet visits.

Yes, I'm sure it does happen, if they have a transient tummy pain for instance it may last for a few hours and then if the gas or pain disappears, it's not been enough to stop their intestines from moving so it can kick itself going again once they start eating. The problem is that we can't foresee the future so don't know if that's going to happen or not, and if it doesn't, you've then got a much more poorly bunny even half a day later - and that could make all the difference between recovery or not for a bunny!

My buns Ben and Timmy have problems like that sometimes but it's (knock on wood) never been bad enough to visit the vet and they don't stop eating or pooping completely, it's just reduced/smaller, so I just encourage them to eat and exercise. They'll continue doing small poos at first and then back to normal poos after I get them eating properly. I think it's because they're picky about hay so if it's not perfectly to their liking (like if a new bag is too much stalky hay or something) they don't eat enough of it and in probably just a few hours that makes them go into a mini stasis type thing, as I call it. So I'm careful to refresh their hay and check their poos several times a day.

Maybe Apache got stressed by a noise or something last night so didn't eat enough during the night and that caused a 'mini stasis' episode? ('mini' may not be correct terminology, I dunno, not sure how else to describe it though)

Yes, I'm sure it does happen, if they have a transient tummy pain for instance it may last for a few hours and then if the gas or pain disappears, it's not been enough to stop their intestines from moving so it can kick itself going again once they start eating. The problem is that we can't foresee the future so don't know if that's going to happen or not, and if it doesn't, you've then got a much more poorly bunny even half a day later - and that could make all the difference between recovery or not for a bunny!

Yep that's what I figured...he seemed so much better that I almost cancelled the appointment but I thought how bad I'd feel if he got worse! Tiny pest :lol:

Frosty went all hunched and wouldnt eat once. I massaged his tummy (much to his dismay) and gave him loads of bramble leaves which he ate ... it happened again a month or so later and that time he did go to the vet for gut stimulent injection and pain killer as he ignored even brambles ...

Back