• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on syringe feeding?

BunnyLover34

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Recently, I took my rabbit to the vets after he seemed to be a little bit quiter than normal. Although finding nothing immediatley wrong, they decided to keep him in over night. The next morning, still there was no reason for him being quite; he had eaten all night and seemed fine to them. After many more trips to the vets, and him having blood taken, still no cause had arisen. Finally, they concluded that he may just have been in the early stages of gut stasis and gave us some critcal care powder, Metacam, Cisapride and Zantac for us to syringe feed him.

The first time, he took all of them so well but this morning, he is refusing to have the syring anywhere near his mouth. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make him take them so that he gets all of it without me stressing him out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think you need to be firm but gentle. Do you wrap him in a towel with just his nose poking out when you give him his meds ? Or like this as kindly demonstrated by Harry

If you lean forward over the Bun as you give the meds the Bun does not try to move forward to escape and they cant move backwards. Well mine never have anyway !!

Thanks for the reply :) I will definitely try wrapping him in a towel and leaning forwards as well. I tried holding him between my legs without the towel but as soon as the syringe came anywhere near him, he puts his head down so I have no idea where his mouth has gone!

I use the towel method. Wrap bunny up and they don't struggle quite so much.

It's a bit if a struggle initially as you're frightened you hurt them. It does get easier thou :/.

All the best
Fee x

I use the towel method. Wrap bunny up and they don't struggle quite so much.

It's a bit if a struggle initially as you're frightened you hurt them. It does get easier thou :/.

All the best
Fee x

Thanks for the reply :) I'll try the towel method tonight.

I tend to do mine like this

But will cover their eyes if they need me to. Some do, some don't, depends on the bunny. It's also how I syringe meds in (which is what I'm doing in this photo).

But will cover their eyes if they need me to. Some do, some don't, depends on the bunny. It's also how I syringe meds in (which is what I'm doing in this photo).

Thanks for replying :) Does covering their eyes calm them down or distract them or something?

I more or less use this method, but I cradle them FIRMLY in the crook of my left arm and give the syringe with my right hand. I don't wrap in a towel, but it's quite a good idea to do so. You have to make a firm wrapping though, or they wriggle out and kick you anyway :shock:

Some people swaddle their buns and leave the face poking out. So long as the bunny isn't lying on their back, that's a good idea.

Best of luck with the med's! I'm trying a similar approach with my young female, just about to go out now to administer... My thoughts are with you x

Thanks for the advice everyone; I really appreciate it. Finally managed to get all the meds into him using the towel method!:D

Woohoo.....Glad the bunny burrito method worked and that he'll be feeling better soon x

Sometimes its easier to use smaller syringes too. I think Mini gets a bit freaked out by a huge feeding syringe and I find it much easier to handle smaller ones while holding onto a bunny. I load up a few 2.5ml syringes, and then refill them from a bowl of critical care as we go.

Back