• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apprehension with rescue rabbits?

William

Wise Old Thumper
Is anyone else kinda irrationally afraid of health problems in rescue rabbits? I see so much unhealthy rabbits on RU, before joining here I never knew rabbits were quite so unhealthy despite having rabbits since I was about 2. I wonder if it really has anything to do with their previous owners or if it's just genetics or if it's because people post when they have a problem so it just seems that way. And probably many people have rescued bunnies from bad situations and they already had health problems. I guess there's probably lots of healthy rabbits on RU but it's skewed...

What makes me apprehensive is diet is such a big thing with rabbits and most people don't feed them properly, they don't even know hay is necessary...if I adopted a dog I wouldn't be too worried about what the old owners fed it but with rabbits a bad diet/not enough hay makes it that much more likely that it'll develop dental or GI tract problems.

I feel more comfortable getting babies because they couldn't have been fed badly for long, so if we had rescues here (I think the closest one is a couple hours away) I'd probably adopt baby rabbits first. I have gotten 2 babies in the past from craigslist where the previous owners bought them for Easter and then quickly got bored and another that was abandoned in front of a pet shop. So that makes me feel a bit better knowing that not all rabbits that don't come from responsible breeders are unhealthy. I guess it's partly that I've never gotten a rescue rabbit before so it's like fear of the unknown, I don't know what to expect... I just see people constantly talk about how unhealthy rabbits are and I haven't really experienced anything on the same scale....

I guess what I'm asking is, am I being completely irrational? I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that I am lol.

I'm definitely not adverse to rescue rabbits though, I want to make that clear before everyone jumps on me. I'm sure I will adopt rescue rabbits, I'm just not entirely sure if my next rabbits will be because of the rescue being far away. Although, local cat/dog shelters and rescues sometimes get in rabbits so that's certainly an option if they'll contact me when they do get rabbits . Will obviously need to see if they're examined by a rabbit savvy vet and neutered though.

I have to agree..

I have rescued 4 rabbits -

Willow has have no issues at all

Floppy had frequent bouts of stasis

Bramble, bless him, was a very fussy bunny with frequent stasis

Smudge, was deaf, had ear mites loads, was fussy, had loads of stasis and died at the vets with a dental abcess.

I am about to embark of bonding a further 2 boys who are 6 months old, born in rescue but went to new home, now back in rescue...

I am really concerned about dental issues and the bouts of stasis that happened on an almost monthly basis with the other bunnies.

The only prerequisite that we have made this time is that my husband and son don't want another lop as they feel all the lops we have had from rescue have had health issues. This may be fundamentally flawed but we feel it's the right move for us but we will have a gut wrenching fear that something will happen to the boys.....

Pure and simple, while in rescue,they will have appropriate feed and hay, outside who knows, and what health implications this will lead to only time will tell...xxx

Is anyone else kinda irrationally afraid of health problems in rescue rabbits? I see so much unhealthy rabbits on RU, before joining here I never knew rabbits were quite so unhealthy despite having rabbits since I was about 2. I wonder if it really has anything to do with their previous owners or if it's just genetics or if it's because people post when they have a problem so it just seems that way. And probably many people have rescued bunnies from bad situations and they already had health problems. I guess there's probably lots of healthy rabbits on RU but it's skewed...

What makes me apprehensive is diet is such a big thing with rabbits and most people don't feed them properly, they don't even know hay is necessary...if I adopted a dog I wouldn't be too worried about what the old owners fed it but with rabbits a bad diet/not enough hay makes it that much more likely that it'll develop dental or GI tract problems.

I feel more comfortable getting babies because they couldn't have been fed badly for long, so if we had rescues here (I think the closest one is a couple hours away) I'd probably adopt baby rabbits first. I have gotten 2 babies in the past from craigslist where the previous owners bought them for Easter and then quickly got bored and another that was abandoned in front of a pet shop. So that makes me feel a bit better knowing that not all rabbits that don't come from responsible breeders are unhealthy. I guess it's partly that I've never gotten a rescue rabbit before so it's like fear of the unknown, I don't know what to expect... I just see people constantly talk about how unhealthy rabbits are and I haven't really experienced anything on the same scale....

I guess what I'm asking is, am I being completely irrational? I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that I am lol.

I'm definitely not adverse to rescue rabbits though, I want to make that clear before everyone jumps on me. I'm sure I will adopt rescue rabbits, I'm just not entirely sure if my next rabbits will be because of the rescue being far away. Although, local cat/dog shelters and rescues sometimes get in rabbits so that's certainly an option if they'll contact me when they do get rabbits . Will obviously need to see if they're examined by a rabbit savvy vet and neutered though.

I think you are, yes.

I will only ever rescue, whatever animal I decide to give a home to, it will always be from a rescue.

When I rescue, I know what issues there are at that moment in time. They will be neutered, so I don't have to deal with that worry.

I have seen countless people have rabbits from breeders and pet stores and those rabbits have no guarantees when it comes to their health and that's been obvious with the issues that you see people talk about.

Even 'reputable' breeders can't tell you that the cute baby bunny will have no health issues.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you! And fully understand where you are coming from, we have always had baby rabbits, and hand on my heart out of 12 we have had, the youngest unfortunately passed away at just before 5, but otherwise most lived a happy life between 7-12 years for our one bunny! :)

Across the road from us was a breeder who we we're dead against and did everything in our power to stop him breeding as he was just an awful man. enough said, but it was horrible and god forbid he had a baby that wasn't up to standard or he couldn't sell.. Basically we dredded to think, so we just ended up having them & giving them the best life possible. So not that I am against rescue rabbits at al.. As we kind of became a mini rescue for a fair few years! But I must say, out of the 12 bunnies we had.. We hardly ever went to the vets and they lived long happy lives.

But I must say, I'm quite scared when hearing about everyone rescueing bunnies which is really great and in the future, I also would love too.. but aren't you worried about not knowing any previous info about them?

I've recently just brought my first 2 babies after moving in with my partner and away from Wales, so hense joining on here to find out so much more! which is brilliant & I really appreciate it, but similar to you, I honestly didn't realise how many illnesses etc there are, and watch my bunnies like hawks now!

I've already set them up to a healthy pet plan, which I had no idea what it was before, but will do all I can to give my babies the best life possible!! :) xx

Last edited:
Other than my three bunnies, which were from pet shops.....1995/1996, all my other have been adopted from rescues. The first two pet shop bunnies were REW'S and both had dental problems and then the third bunny I bought was brain damaged and blind in one eye. This little darling which was constantly overlooked.....cannot think why, came to live with me for a couple of years until she sadly passed away one night. I called her(Weeping) Willow, and I wept when I saw her sad little face when she was sat alone in her bunny hutch waiting to be sold.

Every single one since then has been adopted from rescues.....all have been very healthy. And I touch wood as I ay this....Delilah my 7kg conti x French lop, and her little hunbun Frankie 2.45kg lionhead x are both eating hay for England and are in the very best of health.

On my part, I have never had any apprehension as the rescues I have adopted from have given me full details where possible of the bunnies personalities, behaviour, any diet, health problems, psychological issues......

I have an (ir)rational fear of health problems from pure breed breeders! I am constantly hearing about health problems associated with pure breed rabbits, with so many of them having various problems - presumably as a result of a focus on breeding for looks rather than health. I could rattle off a list of health problems associated with specific breeds, and yet people keep on doing it.

Baby rabbits especially ones from pet shops are very vulnerable to things such as coccidiosis and pasteurella due to the sudden, stressful changes in their environments. So while some of them may live, many of them don't actually get to adulthood at all.

Of course there are some unhealthy rabbits in rescue. There are also plenty of healthy ones, who have been vet assessed and observed, and hence have a far better chance of being healthy than one selected from a group in a pet shop. Many rescue bunnies are also born in rescue or handed to the rescue shortly after their birth because of the high numbers of accidental litters. They only have one move, from original home to rescue, where they are left to rest and grow in peace - rather than going from original home to pet shop environment and then onto another home. I would say these bunnies are therefore more likely to be healthy than pet shop bunnies.

Last edited:
Why would a rescue rabbit be any more likely to have health problems than a rabbit from a breeder/petshop? On the whole, rescue rabbits are those rabbits, or descendants of those rabbits, who originally came from breeders/petshops.

With a rescue rabbit it will have been health checked, any health/behavioural issues declared to the adopter, plus it would be vaccinated and neutered.

I would be far more worried/apprehensive about buying an animal from a money motivated breeder or petshop than adopting an animal from a rescue.

I guess with a rescue rabbit, you have some chance of knowing about any problem in advance. More than you would with a pet shop, breeder, or free ads rabbit.

Where do you think rescue rabbits come from.... They come from pet shops, back yard breeders, reputable breeder..... The same places fresh, new, baby buns come from.
I hope Jane won't mind me saying her last 2 rabbits came from a breeder and have major health problems, the only difference is that a reputable rescue will have a better chance of being aware of any issues and telling you about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess with a rescue rabbit, you have some chance of knowing about any problem in advance. More than you would with a pet shop, breeder, or free ads rabbit.

exactly this ...

I had a rabbit (before I started recuing ) from an allotment breeder ... from 5 yrs old he had dentals every 2 or 3 months ... he lived to be just short of 10 yr old

I had a rabbit from the laboratory lab at my daughters school . He had no health probs that I knew of but died at 5 years .

I had a rescue rabbit ... one of our first ones when I started up ... He had a bladder sludge prob but lived to be 10 yr old

I have another rescue rabbit ... now approx. 6 yr old ... never had a health prob .

Yes some rescue rabbits can have health probs ...so can rabbits from elsewhere ... the difference is ... a GOOD rescue health check and will tell you about the health probs before you adopt if they are there at that time ... and breeder / backyard breeder / petshop probably wont .

Yep, that's my worry...with the exception of accidental litters born to rescues when they first go in, you have absolutely no knowledge what condition the doe was in when she was first taken into the rescue.

Willow was born in a rescue and her health has been fab, my other bunnies were born elsewhere and taken into the rescue... God knows where from.. That's my concern.

It's a lottery, sure , with any bunny but I would never buy from a breeder or pet shop. Rescue bunnies can be a hit and a miss but it's the risk you take...I know they have all been Heath checked at the vets but like anything else, you just never know what's ahead.

Despite having lost bunnies from rescue, I am in way blaming the rescue, I am stating I don't know the provenance of the bunnies, really only what the rescue has by way of knowledge from the conditions they were kept in or the honesty of the previous owners prior to handing in to the rescue.

It would NEVER stop me rehoming a rescue bunny because without new owners, they would never be given a decent chance of a forever home.

I m not having a go at rescues Halfpenny, far from it, I support the work you all do..without you (rescues)I wouldn't have my bunnies

Where do you think rescue rabbits come from.... They come from pet shops, back yard breeders, reputable breeder..... The same places fresh, new, baby buns come from.
I hope Jane won't mind me saying her last 2 rabbits came from a breeder and have major health problems, the only difference is that a reputable rescue will have a better chance of being aware of any issues and telling you about them.

This is what I was going to say. I think at least if you get rabbits (or any other animal) from a decent rescue then they will be health checked by a vet and will be upfront about that animal's problems. With pet shop buns, you have no idea if they are going to develop expensive teeth problems or pasturella etc. With a rescue you are going in as informed as you can be, and you are saving a life.

Yep, that's my worry...with the exception of accidental litters born to rescues when they first go in, you have absolutely no knowledge what condition the doe was in when she was first taken into the rescue.

But you don't know that from pet shop bunnies either, so it's no different, surely?

I'm sure many people on here have seen photos of rescues from people who had been breeding to supply pet shops - the babies themselves may be cute and not had long to develop problems, but their parents have quite possibly (probably?) been kept in conditions which are far from what most of us would consider to be satisfactory.

But I am only talking from experience.. I would never buy from a pet shop therefore I only have my own experience to talk about.

I don't presume to know about pet shop bunnies apart from what has been mentioned on here.

I am not saying pet shop bunnies don't have issues, it only takes a good read through the forum to find out that's a load of baloney.. That's precisely why I would never get one from a pet shop.

Like others mentioned. I have nothing further to say because if I do, I will no doubt,like others, be criticised for having an opinion that deviates from others.

My first bunny whenI was child was bought from pet shop..it died 3 weeks later ..the next one I rescued as he was no longer wanted..he was 6 when I got him and he lived another 2 years. The next was a pet shop bun and he lived 4 years
As an adult Rufus was from a garden centre supplied by a "decent" breeder..he lived to be 5. his wife Daisy was from RSPCA she lived to be 9. Neither had any issues during their lives. Same goes for Shady who died end of last year aged about 10 and a a half..from RSPCA

Honeybunnies rescue buns come from all places originally..breeders, pet shops, backyard breeders, accidental litters, ect..and as with large numbers of anything from different origins their health status varies. What I can say is coming from a registered breeder has proved to be no guarantee of health

Last edited:
As with humans sadly some get illnesses even rescue or breeders cannot predict, if its teeth problems diet is often blamed but can be genetic especially in the dwarf breeds

I bought frosty and snowflake from our local pet shop. They told me that they sell them at six weeks because they stay cuter longer. (This was after i had bought them). Frosty is my only rabbit to have had stasis but is now in a quad with two sisters, both born in rescue and is really healthy. At least decent rescues will let kits stay with mum as long as they need.

I got mottle and peaches from gumtree - a lady who rescues a few but also breeds lops. Mottle has had his teeth spurs done under ga. He is also very sneezy but no sign of snuffles. The lady i got them from was very keen for me to have them as i was a knowledgeable home.

Autumn and sunshine, my glorious belgian hares were from a lovely rescue and are healthy and happy so far. All my rabbits are two or less apart from mottle and peaches who are around five so problems may come later but rescue rabbits are only second hand breeder or petshop ones. If you go to a decent rescue you have a better chance of the right rabbit for you than going to a shop, breeder or poor quality rescue. So your fear is definately irrational!

I think you are, yes.

I will only ever rescue, whatever animal I decide to give a home to, it will always be from a rescue.

When I rescue, I know what issues there are at that moment in time. They will be neutered, so I don't have to deal with that worry.

I have seen countless people have rabbits from breeders and pet stores and those rabbits have no guarantees when it comes to their health and that's been obvious with the issues that you see people talk about.

Even 'reputable' breeders can't tell you that the cute baby bunny will have no health issues.

I agree with this. A rescue can give you the history of an animal's behavior and health. No pet shop or breeder can do that. I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen people post about pets at home rabbits in particular developing snuffles or head tilt or something else. I have knowingly taken on ill rabbits from rescues because I knew I could cope with the health issues. I have also had rabbits who were born in rescue but because they were in for so long, the rescue was able to give me an up to date health history. Another bonus was being given a copy of veterinary records and having my buns neutered and vaccinated before they came to me.

Breeding is such a gamble, its selfish and irresponsible. I don't understand how people can make excuses for it. Think of all the dogs, cats and rabbits with squashed up faces and who cannot breathe. They were deliberately bred to look that way despite the discomfort. Its disgustingly selfish. Accidental litters are also pretty selfish. All it takes is knowledge and responsibility to avert these things but so many people take a lax attitude to it.

I don't think you can lump all rescues together or all breeders together.
You need to do your research properly and provide a home for the bunny that is right for you. A good rescue will tell you all the information you need to know about one of their bunnies. They want them to go to a good forever home. It is not in their best interest to have the bunny returned in the future. Likewise a good breeder should provide all the information as well and will usually offer to have the bunny back in the future if need be.
Unfortunately rabbits can have health problems and as an exotic pet can cost a lot in vet fees.
This is where research comes in and why RU is a good forum. Unfortunately finding this site usually comes after people have already homed a bunny and have a problem rather than before!

It's very helpful reading true accounts like many of you have posted, thanks! Interested in hearing more too :)

I have an irrational fear of pure breed breeders! I am constantly hearing about health problems associated with pure breed rabbits, with so many of them having various problems - presumably as a result of a focus on breeding for looks rather than health.

Baby rabbits especially ones from pet shops are very vulnerable to things such as coccidiosis and pasteurella due to the sudden, stressful changes in their environments. So while some of them may live, many of them don't actually get to adulthood at all.

Of course there are some unhealthy rabbits in rescue. There are also plenty of healthy ones, who have been vet assessed and observed, and hence have a far better chance of being healthy than one selected from a group in a pet shop. Many rescue bunnies are also born in rescue or handed to the rescue shortly after their birth because of the high numbers of accidental litters. They only have one move, from original home to rescue, where they are left to rest and grow in peace - rather than going from original home to pet shop environment and then onto another home. I would say these bunnies are therefore more likely to be healthy than pet shop bunnies.

Oh yes, if I don't go through a rescue I'd be getting them from a responsible breeder. I don't want to support bad pet shops/breeders, and there's the obvious health risk with them anyway.

Free ads is an option too but it's riskier than rescues, only plus side is you can see pictures of them online and get a description of what they're like (as opposed to my situation of having to have the cat/dog shelter contact me, then visiting it quickly before the rabbits are gone etc) and my parents would be more willing as it's easier for them to just drive me to the persons house and then drive me back, no repeat trips, no inconvenient times and no time taken up apart from the drive.

Yeah sadly I have experienced that with baby buns. Growing up 3 of the babies that we got at pet shops (all on separate occasions, years apart) died very soon after :( One from a bacterial infection, one from a blockage/stasis, and one just found dead one morning.

marleysworld - very true, I completely agree

Halfpenny - I didn't say it's a guarantee but if you get a rabbit from a responsible breeder they know their genetic background and they also will know what they fed it and the parents. Rescues don't know that so there is a difference. Most rescue rabbits are from pet shops, accidental litters and irresponsible breeders that have no clue what the genetics of their rabbits are. And even if lots of them did come from responsible breeders, there's no way of knowing unless you know who the breeder is and do your research on them to see if they're actually responsible or not.

Back