• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New partner for bereaved rabbit

Hi all! I had to have one if my rabbit PTS on Monday just gone. He has left behind his litter mate brother. I let his brother have a couple of hours with the body before removing it and he's been normal all week, eating, drinking, pooing. No change in him at all. I've put him in the garden today to run and he's binkying and running around happily.

I want to get him a new friend as he's never been alone ever and he's an outside bunny.

I have found a lovely female who looks perfect for him with the RSPCA. They have home checked me today and I've passed. So I could potentially be looking at bonding next weekend. Is this too soon for him? Am I jumping the gun?

Any advice welcome! X

Hi!

From what I've read, you are normally supposed to allow around one month before bonding to let your bunny recover from the loss, however, from a quick look on some bonding websites, I can't find any evidence for this. The fact that he seems perfectly happy is a good sign and I think that it's definitely a good idea to get him a bunny friend sooner rather than later especially when they are outside with the cold weather, having somebun to snuggle up to makes all the difference. Well done on passing the home check!:)

There is no set period. Bunnies aren't daft - they know when their friend has passed and may be fine for a few days, a few weeks or even a few months but you can normally tell when loneliness is setting in. They often become quieter than normal, less interested in their surroundings and craving attention from you. Benji was fine for about 3 weeks, then started to become quieter than normal.

So be lead by your bunny, not by a specific timeframe. If you feel he's ready then go for it.

I think you are doing the right thing.. I really do, all bunnies are different but the ones used to company will ultimately feel the 'solo' life more.

Good luck and bonding vibes xxx

There is no set period. Bunnies aren't daft - they know when their friend has passed and may be fine for a few days, a few weeks or even a few months but you can normally tell when loneliness is setting in. They often become quieter than normal, less interested in their surroundings and craving attention from you. Benji was fine for about 3 weeks, then started to become quieter than normal.

So be lead by your bunny, not by a specific timeframe. If you feel he's ready then go for it.

I agree with what Mackers has said.
In my experience some of my bunnies have been ready to accept a new friend after a couple of weeks, and others have taken a little longer. Being a good bunny mummy, you will no doubt know when the time is right.
Best of luck.

Back