• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Transporting hay in your car

Redhelen

Warren Scout
Those of you who buy bales of farm hay, how do you get it home without losing half of it inside your car?

I have found some lovely hay, but not want my car any messier than it already is!!!!

Put it inside an old duvet cover. I bought some proper hay bale bags a few years back, but a single duvet cover is better and cheaper!!

Those of you who buy bales of farm hay, how do you get it home without losing half of it inside your car?

I have found some lovely hay, but not want my car any messier than it already is!!!!

I put the seats down and then put a tarp down. I put the hay on this then take it down to the shed ON the tarp.

Better still, do the above in someone else's car :lol::lol:

Put it inside an old duvet cover. I bought some proper hay bale bags a few years back, but a single duvet cover is better and cheaper!!

I may do this next time, as you can store it in the duvet cover too, and use as required :thumb:

I've got a pair of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIRES-EQUE...8&qid=1420903988&sr=8-1&keywords=hay+bale+bag

They look like they should work amazingly and they are better than nothing, but the top is open (it's a drawstring top so it doesn't effectively keep the end enclosed) and the handles are in a really awkward place to carry the bale. I find a duvet far better because it's big enough to tuck the top right over, and you can just carry it over your shoulder like Santa really should :lol:

This one looks much better though, but a duvet cover is still far cheaper!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intrepid-In...=UTF8&qid=1420903927&sr=1-8&keywords=hay+bale

We have both a duvet cover and a hay bale bag. We prefer the hay bale bag as it slips over the bale quite nicely. We keep one in one car and the other in the other car :lol:

I have used a duvet cover and a hay bale bag like the one linked and I much prefer the hay bale bag. The handles are in a perfect place for me, and the fabric doesn't allow hay to pop out all over.

Also my bale of hay fits in my boot so I just put it in there and then only the boot has hay on it.

I've got a pair of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIRES-EQUE...8&qid=1420903988&sr=8-1&keywords=hay+bale+bag

They look like they should work amazingly and they are better than nothing, but the top is open (it's a drawstring top so it doesn't effectively keep the end enclosed) and the handles are in a really awkward place to carry the bale. I find a duvet far better because it's big enough to tuck the top right over, and you can just carry it over your shoulder like Santa really should :lol:

This one looks much better though, but a duvet cover is still far cheaper!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intrepid-In...=UTF8&qid=1420903927&sr=1-8&keywords=hay+bale

I don't know why, but an image from the film 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' come into my head. Something about throwing hay bales over the shoulder. I think I would be pinned underneath it :lol:

I don't know why, but an image from the film 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' come into my head. Something about throwing hay bales over the shoulder. I think I would be pinned underneath it :lol:

*snigger*

The bags look good, but they look awkward to get the bale into? Plus I have duvet covers already :)

Look out buns, you're getting new hay. (Hope they like it, this could save me a fortune!!!)

Duvet cover here too. Ikea £5 cheapies are ideal. Then put straight into the garden box still in duvet :thumb:

The bags look good, but they look awkward to get the bale into? Plus I have duvet covers already :)

I tend to take the bale off the pile and place it on its end, and then put the bag on it from the top down, it's pretty easy.

Actually I have just thought of a plus of the bag over the duvet cover - the material means that hay doesn't stick to it very easily so it's much easier to keep all those stray strands at bay. But if you've already got spare duvet covers, I'd just use those, personally!

I use bin bags as I don't have space to store a bale whole and prefer to section it off into the bin bags because then I can tetris it,both into the car if the boot is full of feed and bedding, and in the flat when I pack it in.

Back