• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

introducing just bonded rabbits to their new hutch

rachel3020

New Kit
How do I go about this? This week they have made so much progress! grooming each other lieing together eating together mostly in the kitchen and hall then kitchen hall and back passage, put them in their run earlier and all was fine getting on completely perfect. so do I put the hutch in the run so they can explore when they want or put them in it and watch :/ the run is on the grass and hutch will be on the patio.. Or do I put them in the hutch where it is going to be shut the doors and watch? They were together yesterday 830am they stayed in passage way last night so we could keep an eye on them and there still absolutely fine :)

how long have they been together? and how big is the hutch? ideally you would increase the space they have gradually, to avoid squabbles. it would be best to have the run attached to the hutch at all times - is that possible? when i bonded my two they lived in a neutral area for a few weeks (i was extra cautious!) and then i put them both into what was one of their sheds together. i cleaned the shed out and everything in it was neutral so it didn't smell like it 'belonged' to either bunny and then i just put them in! they were very much bonded by this point though after almost a month together.

I did that this week. I White vinegared the shed and its contents and had new litter trays. I put them in there for a couple of days to ensure all was Okay ( it was a bit hairy at points but settled down), i have just opened the shed to the runs where the same had been done(vinegared and neutralised) I must admit I had very few 'toys' in the run initially till the dust settled but intend to get new ones today now they have been behaving nicely..

It is terrifying but things seem to have gone well for yours so far, hopefully it will continue.

Good luck
Fee x

Last edited:
You will have to go 1 step at a time so as not to confuse them and thereby upset the bond they are forming. So, you will have to put them in their hutch and let them get used to it, say a week maybe. Then when they are settled you can then introduce them to their run. When they are out in their run, will they have somewhere to shelter in case it rains etc and is it safe from foxes? A lot of rabbits don't like keep being picked up to be transferred to somewhere else and as they are predominantly territorial animals, having 2 territories can be confusing. As Elmoandfern suggested, the hutch should be connected to the run so they only have one area and can choose whether to be in or out.

Back