• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dumped bunnies!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
It looks like we have had the first bunnies dumped on us, although it appears the people couldn't find us ( we are very out of the way!) so they just left them on a nearby road, it can't have been coincidence as the situation is quite specific. Luckily someone else found them, although she is keeping them in what appears to be a small indoor cage and has dogs. She can't sex then but hadn't bothered taking them to the vet and it was pure accident when talking to someone, she found out we were on that road.
So it looks like these wee guys are coming here, poor little cross breed bunnies, bred randomly, bought randomly and then dumped, possibly to make room for the next Christmas present. I will need to sex and age them, hope they are babies or are the same sex, otherwise it's a pregnancy watch and more rabbits in rescue.
I feel physically sick to think of what may have happened to them as we have badgers, foxes and buzzards here, yet the breeder, the seller ( if there was one) and the new owner didn't give a ****. Is it any wonder rescues feel like giving up!

so sad but now they are safe
We have had to turn away just over 50 rabbits in the last 10-12 days..why is is not getting any better? Most people are aware of the pet situation yet all pets seem to be seen as a whim, a way to make a quick buck ( no pun intended), and easily disposed of when owner can no longer be bothered, very sad :(

I just can't believe how bad it is, we have, hopefully got a foster home for 2 horses. We have these 2 rabbits coming in, been asked to take 9 hens and a cockerel, a disabled hen and agreed to 7 chinchillas, from 4 different homes and these were all in at least their 2nd home before coming to us. Do people not realise this causes mental damage to animals. We just can't afford any more but still more need help!

I just can't believe how bad it is, we have, hopefully got a foster home for 2 horses. We have these 2 rabbits coming in, been asked to take 9 hens and a cockerel and agreed to 7 chinchillas, from 4 different homes and these were all in at least their 2nd home before coming to us. Do people not realise this causes mental damage to animals. We just can't afford any more but still more need help!

I have learnt to say NO, but it is hard. You just have to concentrate on the ones you can help and try to not lay awake worrying over the ones you can't :(

I'm so sorry rescues are in this desperate situation.

Glad though that these two little ones will now be safe, having been in a potentially hazardous position earlier.

I take my hat off to you for persevering despite all x

The laugh is that rescues are criticised for not having perfect, RWAF standard housing but you never get the chance to finance it when rabbits ( and other animals) are being dumped left, right and centre because someone wants to breed their bunnies, and usually never vaccinate, never mind neuter or seek vet treatment.
It's not like they are breeding rare breeds or trying to improve rabbit health, they just want to produce baby bunnies, for God knows why!

What beautiful markings they have :love: So sad they were just dumped on the side of the road where anything could've happened to them - don't people realize what an easy meal they'd have been for foxes :(

Not just foxes, but badgers, birds of prey, cats ( lots of ferals here) or dogs ( it's a nice circular route from the village, so dogs are on thus route often)!

I am totally fed up of people handing animals over to us and gaily walking away, feeling they have done their best. No more contact, no more support, and no vet bill to pts. It's disgusting.
Breeders should be made to take back and care for any animal, be it crossbreed, accidental or planned if the owner changes their minds, and made to care for them until a new home is found. I bet breeders soon change their minds about how many animals they breed and people are more careful of having accidental matings!

The laugh is that rescues are criticised for not having perfect, RWAF standard housing but you never get the chance to finance it when rabbits ( and other animals) are being dumped left, right and centre because someone wants to breed their bunnies, and usually never vaccinate, never mind neuter or seek vet treatment.
It's not like they are breeding rare breeds or trying to improve rabbit health, they just want to produce baby bunnies, for God knows why!

I don't see why rescues should be held to RWAF standards, when they clearly cannot afford it, and yet breeders can use tiny little cages with no hay or enrichment, and that's quite OK :evil::evil:

Its sickening that this cycle continues of breeder-home-rescue-rehome continues.I have a friend who runs a rescue for small furries.Her frustration makes her so angry at times.Their accommodation isn't perfect but its warm,clean and dry and the dedicated care she gives them is incredible.

Last edited:
They're so beautiful! And tiny.

It comes down to the commodification of life. People see animals as products that you can give away when bored (like the stuff I take to the charity shop), not lives.

A friend of mine has just adopted a cat. She's on her THIRD home and is only 6. Previous owners got bored. :roll: She has a safe, loving, forever home now. :love:

Oh Bless you, the buns and all the rescues... the buns are SO beautiful, poor little mites.

I recently took part in a survey and one of the questions was :
Do you consider the UK to be an animal loving country? I put NO.

I know that the UK is full of truly animal loving people...But is the 'commodity' factor that bothers me too... animals bred as pets when so many people don't, even slightly, comprehend what 'pet' means ( the very word is belittling )... it is not food, It Is Not A Toy... it is an intelligent companion ... worthy of having it's specific needs met.. sacred life!

My heart goes out to you and all those who 'walk (work) the path' ! Many Blessings for you and your animals XXXXX

Last edited:
Jeez.... What luck it was you found them.. Bless them, in this weather too.....:cry:

Vibes being sent for no more fur babies arriving imminently....xxxx

Back