• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vets

rachel3020

New Kit
I have a neutered male rabbit and him and my female rabbit have just been bonded this month she will be getting done to does he have to go with her and will they be ok together after or do I have to separate Them?

My Vet always likes bonded Rabbits to remain together and so both Rabbits would be admitted when the Doe is spayed. You need to discuss this with your Vet though as some Vets refuse to admit the bonded partner. I have always kept my bonded pairs together after one has had surgery, but if your Buck is very boisterous and/or if he keeps trying to mount your Doe you may need to keep them apart for a few days. This problem is far more likely to occur if they do not go into the Vets together.

I hope all goes well for your Doe's spay xx

I have a neutered male rabbit and him and my female rabbit have just been bonded this month she will be getting done to does he have to go with her and will they be ok together after or do I have to separate Them?

He doesn't have to go with her, and you should discuss this with your vet. Some vets like them to be together but others don't, for their own reasons. It shouldn't affect the bond at all, whether he goes or not, but be sure he doesn't bother her too much when she comes home. It's a big operation for a female and you will have to make sure she recovers well.

Good luck! xx

Previously I took my boy with my girl to the vets but brought him back, then took him later to collect her. They didn't want the risk of him jumping on her during recovery but they were happy for me to collect her early with some critical care food, if she didn't start eating on her own. She did eat after an hour and i think it helped having him there to encourage her.

I must admit now i prefer to get my rabbits neutered before bonding, just in case the worst happens, although I have had 6 females and 8 males neutered over the years and never lost one under GA!

Back