• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hock

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
my Edward has a sore hock and the vet has prescribed some cream to apply daily. how do i stop the cream from rubbing off after i've applied it? i do apply it just before nom-nom time so he's more interested in the food than his foot but i worry that the cream will be absorbed by whatever surface his paw is on rather than being absorbed by the paw itself.!
Any suggestions very much appreciated.

emily xx

What is the cream that the Vet has prescribed ? Often only a small amount needs to be applied and gently massaged into the sore area. So there should not be much surface residue as most should be absorbed into the skin :)

Has the Vet established what has caused the sore hock ? Sore hocks are often a secondary symptom of another problem.

my Edward has a sore hock and the vet has prescribed some cream to apply daily. how do i stop the cream from rubbing off after i've applied it? i do apply it just before nom-nom time so he's more interested in the food than his foot but i worry that the cream will be absorbed by whatever surface his paw is on rather than being absorbed by the paw itself.!
Any suggestions very much appreciated.

emily xx

If you very gently massage in the cream for a few moments before you put him down, some at least will be absorbed. On the whole we all put far too much cream on everything, and only a little is really needed.

Hope that helps, good luck! xx

What is the cream that the Vet has prescribed ? Often only a small amount needs to be applied and gently massaged into the sore area. So there should not be much surface residue as most should be absorbed into the skin :)

Has the Vet established what has caused the sore hock ? Sore hocks are often a secondary symptom of another problem.

the cream is called F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment. The vet gave Edward a good check-over and there does not seem to be anything more sinister, heart, gastro,temp are all fine.

the cream is called F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment. The vet gave Edward a good check-over and there does not seem to be anything more sinister, heart, gastro,temp are all fine.

F10 is great :D You only need a little bit and if you rub it in well very little will come off. Is Edward a House Rabbit ?

F10 is great :D You only need a little bit and if you rub it in well very little will come off. Is Edward a House Rabbit ?

He is a house bun, along with his wifey Bella. I do try to rub the cream in but it's quite difficult 'cos i'm a single bunny-mummy and holding a feisty bun in the right position whilst trying to apply cream is very hard!

He is a house bun, along with his wifey Bella. I do try to rub the cream in but it's quite difficult 'cos i'm a single bunny-mummy and holding a feisty bun in the right position whilst trying to apply cream is very hard!

I find if you hold them firmly and stop them struggling, they soon get the message that nothing bad is going to happen and they may as well give in :lol:

I hope the sore hock clears up soon.

Yeh, an extra arm can come in useful at times !!

You could try this method. Easier to explain using pictures than words !!

Back