• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neutering housing.

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Hi,
Our rabbit has gone in to be nurtured/castrated today.

He does like a good jump and climb and stays in the following as his house. but does get to free roam the room.
Should i let him stay in his pen or should I put him back in his small cage (4X2 ft the tray in the picture but with the cage part reattached) until Monday when the vet sees him again.
Just worried he will be wanting to try and escape from his pen (which he has done before but is now netting covered) and hurting his stitches.
20141123_192002.jpg

Hi,

He does like a good jump and climb and stays in the following as his house. but does get to free roam the room.
Should i let him stay in his pen or should I put him back in his small cage (4X2 ft the tray in the picture but with the cage part reattached) until Monday when the vet sees him again.
Just worried he will be wanting to try and escape from his pen (which he has done before but is now netting covered) and hurting his stitches.
20141123_192002.jpg

You could leave him in his cage tonight and then return him to his pen tomorrow. He probably wont feel like leaping about immediately after his op anyway. But by tomorrow he should be a lot brighter and being confined to a small cage would probably stress him out and hinder his recovery. Just make sure that the netting is always in place over the pen so he cant attempt an escape !! Personally I'd put a mat down on the floor of his pen by his litter tray as it would provide more traction as he hops into the tray. If he slipped on the hard floor as he was getting into the litter tray he could hurt himself.

Hope all goes well with his op' and that he makes a speedy recovery :)

Personally I'd put a mat down on the floor of his pen by his litter tray as it would provide more traction as he hops into the tray. If he slipped on the hard floor as he was getting into the litter tray he could hurt himself.

Hope all goes well with his op' and that he makes a speedy recovery :)

Hi,
You can't see in the picture very well but the floor in his pen is non slip vinyl.

Do you think he will not fell like trying to get out even though it is covered (he usually does)
He generally tries to launch himself out in the morning etc. just when we are getting things ready or last thing at night.

thanks in advance.

You probably just need to make the judgement call based on how he behaves once he's home. He will be quieter than usual for up to 24 hours after the GA, but as a castrate is not usually such an invasive procedure as a spay recovery tends to be much quicker. So he might be back to his escape antics tomorrow evening ! You could always keep him in the cage for a bit longer than overnight tonight. If you do that do provide him with suitable things to chew etc as if he feels too confined and bored he is more likely to start licking/chewing his surgical wound.

Hi,

20141123_192002.jpg

I personally wouldn't put him in a small cage if he's not used to being in there for any length of time. He should be feeling moderately OK after a castrate, and may get angry and start chewing the bars (or worse still, his wound!) if you coop him up.

Just make sure there's nice and cosy things for him to rest on, in case he's still feeling sore.

He is in the little cage as he is still very sore and not getting round much or eating that much. (he was in it until only 6 weeks ago as he is only 4 months old)
Ears still cold bless, so will keep him in that until he perks up, starts eating more and ears warm up. :)

He is in the little cage as he is still very sore and not getting round much or eating that much. (he was in it until only 6 weeks ago as he is only 4 months old)
Ears still cold bless, so will keep him in that until he perks up, starts eating more and ears warm up. :)

I hope he is feeling much better very soon :D

How is your little lad doing this morning ?

How is your little lad doing this morning ?
Still not himself, he is eating but not the usual amount and not really himself.
But better than yesterday, hopefully he will be a bit better tomorrow.
He is back in is full cage though as he really does not want to be jumping around, he's walking around a bit like John Wayne.

Still not himself, he is eating but not the usual amount and not really himself.
He is back in is full cage though as he really does not want to be jumping around, he's walking around a bit like John Wayne.

Poor lad. Have you checked his 'bits' to make sure there is not a huge amount of swelling/bruising and that the area is clean and dry ? Is he pooing and weeing OK ?

Did the Vet supply you with some pain relief to give him for a couple of days or so ?

Awww sorry to hear this :cry:

Hope he feels a lot better soon. Best just examine him to make sure there is no swelling underneath. I had a rabbit where one of the testicles swelled up, but saying that, it didn't stop him moving around fast enough! x

He's a lot better today.

I think it was the anaesthetic more than anything else. He is only small so knocked him about i think.
He had a fight with the broom on two occasions today which is a good sign.
Eating back to normal also, post opp check up tomorrow anyway, but all seems fine now. Thanks all.

He's a lot better today.

I think it was the anaesthetic more than anything else. He is only small so knocked him about i think.
Eating back to normal also, post opp check up tomorrow anyway, but all seems fine now. Thanks all.

I love what your little man gets up to!

Good luck for tomorrow :)

He's a lot better today.

Hope his post op' check goes well today. Maybe the poor broom needs a check up too !!

He has a small swelling in one sack. But is fine, most probably a haematoma which will sort itself out. But is booked back in for another check on Thursday but he is well and back to himself almost.
I have to admit I am looking forward to the spraying stopping soon though (fingers crossed), any ideas how long it takes after neutering it starts to calm down?

The brush is just about surviving, but is looking balder by the day. :)

Back