• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it too late to bring outdoor bunnies in?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
I have 4 outdoors but my bonded pair live in a fortress. My two little ones live separate and this storm is awful up here in highland. Could I take them indoors? It has been quite mild out this winter so far but this storm is awful. And they are mini loops, so just ickle buns. If I bring them in will I have to keep them on till spring? Or is it best to leave them out? They have dry shelter with runs attached each. But no one to snuggle.

Yes, if you bring them in you will need to keep them in until spring. As long as they have lots of straw to keep them warm they should be fine outside. You could always give them a snuggle pad at night for extra warmth

Since it's been mild so far I would say you could bring them in if you have a cool room to put them in.

Since my mini lop has always been indoors she has to suffer the central heating on high but she's fine with it and won't go out into the conservatory where it's colder, she prefers the warm! I would put your little ones where there isn't central heating on though or where it is very low so the temperature change isn't too extreme. If you bring them in you won't want them outside, it's so lovely interacting with them.

I would bring them in if they are alone more for company anyway.

Yes, if you bring them in you will need to keep them in until spring. As long as they have lots of straw to keep them warm they should be fine outside. You could always give them a snuggle pad at night for extra warmth
What is a snuggle pad? Yes they have cosy living quarters.

Since it's been mild so far I would say you could bring them in if you have a cool room to put them in.

Since my mini lop has always been indoors she has to suffer the central heating on high but she's fine with it and won't go out into the conservatory where it's colder, she prefers the warm! I would put your little ones where there isn't central heating on though or where it is very low so the temperature change isn't too extreme. If you bring them in you won't want them outside, it's so lovely interacting with them.

I would bring them in if they are alone more for company anyway.
Well I have had indoor house rabbits before so I know how rewarding it is. I think I might figure out bringing them in. We have a tiny house though. But I'm sure I can make room. Need to talk to my husband.

Thank you [emoji813]

It's like a hot water bottle! If you search on amazon you will find them. You pop them in the microwave for 7/8 minutes and then put the furry cover on. They are fine if your bunny doesn't eat things. If they do you can pop them under a thin plywood shelf in the nesting bit of your hutch and the heat should warm through.

It's like a hot water bottle! If you search on amazon you will find them. You pop them in the microwave for 7/8 minutes and then put the furry cover on. They are fine if your bunny doesn't eat things. If they do you can pop them under a thin plywood shelf in the nesting bit of your hutch and the heat should warm through.
Oh okay thank you [emoji813]

I have house buns and for 7 years they get out an hour in the morning into the garden before work and in the evening they get nearly 3 hours of garden time. Even now in all weather even frost. They would go mad if they couldn't get out every evening as they run to the back door looking out. So they have daily varied temperatures. They sleep in our kitchen. They also have free range of nearly our whole bungalow so not as if they are confined. I dont think it would do any harm briging them in for a day or 2. I know people say not to but mine have been ok with temperature variations for years.. Maybe it's differentif it's overnight. I wouldn't want to risk them being terrified. Just my thoughts.

I have house buns and for 7 years they get out an hour in the morning into the garden before work and in the evening they get nearly 3 hours of garden time. Even now in all weather even frost. They would go mad if they couldn't get out every evening as they run to the back door looking out. So they have daily varied temperatures. They sleep in our kitchen. They also have free range of nearly our whole bungalow so not as if they are confined. I dont think it would do any harm briging them in for a day or 2. I know people say not to but mine have been ok with temperature variations for years.. Maybe it's differentif it's overnight. I wouldn't want to risk them being terrified. Just my thoughts.
Very interesting post thank you. Well the wind blew my cast iron bench over and it blew my little bucks run our of place and he was running around scared. I think I'l bring him, or both in. :)

I think the main problem is moulting. Once they start loosing their winter coat you can't put them out until spring. If they are kept in a very cool place in the house you may get away with bringing them in for a couple of nights.

I think the main problem is moulting. Once they start loosing their winter coat you can't put them out until spring. If they are kept in a very cool place in the house you may get away with bringing them in for a couple of nights.
Yes that is so right. I have just taken the little lady in due to health concerns so that will be her in now till spring. I have put her in my bedroom, it has no heating and is nice and cool. I know she will miss the breeze but it's not forever.

Now i have both my little doe Pony in the house, in my bedroom (this is the one i was going to re-home in other thread - not now) and Teddy is in my living room. I feel so much better now knowing they are all in cosy. My other 2 bonded outdoors rabbits are so big and fluffy and truly wild at heart that they are staying outside, they love to run around the garden and it would be cruel to take them in. But Pony and Teddy are so small, we just had a heavy snow fall so i am glad they are in. plus i get to fuss over them more now. They are both in line for spay and neuter and once that is done i will bond them together! I didn't realize how much i missed having a house bunny, Belle and Binx were for a while. So nice just watching them, i'm so happy :)

Back