• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed in re-homing a rabbit.

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
This August i acquired another 2 rabbits. The little doe i am needing advice for is a very sweet mini lop who has had 3 previous homes prior to myself. I had hoped to keep her with me as her forever home but i have come to realize it is not working out with my other rabbits and Belle my free ranging doe as you know already, keeps on trying to and succeeding in attacking this little mini lop doe. So my little doe is in her hutch pen set up and Belle tries to attack her through the bars. It sadly isn't going to work out now or ever, i need to do what is best for the little doe, it isn't fair this situation and i would be selfish to hold onto her when i could possibly find her a really incredible home suited for her needs.

So i have come to the very sad but clear decision she needs re-homed. But due to her previous circumstances, i am dedicated to finding her the perfect home for her and the add i posted was very very long and very clear on what i wanted for her. With rabbit welfare all over the add and freedom, space, love, care and most of all patience and respect, no young children also. She is hard to handle due to her 'past' and needs tlc but she is so very sweet.

I am in a dilemma however.... and i don't know how to make a decision. I have two people interested, both homes different, both sound great. One lady is a stay at home lady, her husband works and they have a big house. She intends for my doe to be a free range house bunny, run of the whole house. She has previous experience with a house bunny who passed away due to old age.

The other lady also has experience with rabbits needs. She has a buck, who lost his mate recently and she wants to bond a doe to him. She keeps her bunnies in an outdoor summer set up but in the winter in a indoor set up.

I don't know if my doe would be better of as a bonded duo with a gentle loving buck with indoor and outdoor lifestyle. Or as a likely very spoilt single house rabbit with the run of a house?

I can see the benefits for her of both. The love and comfort of a husbunny or the peace and quite of a singles life.

She generally likes her own space, doesn't trust people readily, although accepts cheek rubs.

It is such a huge responsibility, i want to make the right choice.

Regardless if either of these people decide to go ahead and offer a home. I do need advice in-case a similar scenario arises.

Can rabbits be happy alone with a human companion, or is it better to be a part of a bonded pair?

It sounds like either could work out well :) You could chat to the house rabbit person and see if adding a partner would be something they'd consider doing once she's settled. Otherwise they might suit a rabbit that's not keen on other rabbits better.

If the indoor/outdoor setups are both a good size/secure then I'd maybe go for that so she'll have a companion.

They both sound like great homes, I personally would go for the single house bunny option with lots of human attention, she may find the bonding stressful after what happened with the other bunny, and you said in your post that she likes her own space. I have a single house bunny as we lost his partner last year, we will make him our last bunny so didnt want to bond him as that would make bunny- keeping continuous. With lots of human interaction she could have a lovely life :)

It's so hard at the moment she is outdoors with a large hutch and perminant outdoor access to a run. She enjoys sitting outside even in the cool breeze. Most of her life was in a line of breeders very small breeding hutches so she was thrilled to be let out in the fresh clean air when I took her home.

It's so hard. Its just Belle who is bad to her. The other 2 are bucks and she likes them, she chin rubs one through the bars. So I think she might do very well with a gentle buck. It is so hard. I need to talk to both lady's some more. My intuition will guide me to the right place.

I think either sound lovely but you, having more info , have a huge decision.... I hope it works out well for the little one....:love:

Thank you so much for support, I have successfully 're-homes a rescue animal before, I'm like a half way house at times. I feel like I am being spiritually guided with this little lady. And only I can find her the forever home. It is heart wrenching.

Thank you all so much, I will update any info/news.

[emoji813]

It sounds like either could work out well :) You could chat to the house rabbit person and see if adding a partner would be something they'd consider doing once she's settled. Otherwise they might suit a rabbit that's not keen on other rabbits better.

If the indoor/outdoor setups are both a good size/secure then I'd maybe go for that so she'll have a companion.

I agree with Tamsin. I would always go for the option for a rabbit to have a companion :love:

I have discovered i really cant do it. Re-homing her is now not an option. I am going to try and do everything i can to make it work for her. I have brought her in the house now till spring and my little buck too. Both are in line for a spay and neuter and as they were pen pals in the garden (chin rubbing through the bars daily) i have decided to bond them before spring. Pony is due for spay 26th January :) :) Hopefully this will settle her down and relax her. And Teddy will be soon after.

I am thinking about a more secure outdoor set-up for spring where the run is such a way that Bluebelle cant bite them through the bars. This little lady is too precious and needs stability. I have to make it work out with my free range rabbits, there has to be some way.

:love:....... Good for you.. hope it all works out......they do get to you Dont they?..:thumb:

I'm not at all surprised by your decision. I hope all goes well - for everyone.
Thank you Babsie, I have forgotten how to post pics. Must go read up so I can show everyone how happy she is. She was bunny 500's last night round my room, I have never seen her do this before :)

Back