• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye...how do I bathe it?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
My snuffles bunny benji has developed a runny eye in the last 24 hours. I will take him to the vets tomorrow..is there any way I can bathe it, or stop it from going worse tonight?

Personally I would leave it to let the vet assess it in its original condition. You never know if something will make it worse or wash away any signs that the vet can use to diagnose :wave:

Personally I would leave it to let the vet assess it in its original condition. You never know if something will make it worse or wash away any signs that the vet can use to diagnose :wave:

On, thank you yaretzi, will leave it alone. It's just suddenly started weeping badly, poor boy :(

Benji has a blocked tear duct the vet thinks. He has been given tiacil and metacam (to use if required).

forgot to ask the vet about bathing it though - can anyone advise on whether this is a good idea or not?

Benji has a blocked tear duct the vet thinks. He has been given tiacil and metacam (to use if required).

forgot to ask the vet about bathing it though - can anyone advise on whether this is a good idea or not?

You can bathe it using cooled boiled water. If you gently massage around the duct whilst bathing the eye you may find that it clears some pus from the duct.

Thanks Jane. I know this sounds silly, but is the duct the outer bit of the eye?

Am I best to use a flannel or something else?

Thanks Jane. I know this sounds silly, but is the duct the outer bit of the eye?

I always use a piece of cotton wool soaked in cooled boiled water. The tear duct's exit is at the inner conner of the rabbit's eye. If you apply a warm and gentle compress under the eye, towards the inner corner (not on the eye itself) you may help to release some of the gunk that is trapped within the tear duct.

You may have to remove crusts gently by loosening them with a cotton ball soaked in the cooled boiled water. Alternatively a rabbit friend would clean up your rabbit's eye for free :D

It's best not to use a flanel, but one of those cosmetic cotton pads which dont 'moult' like cotton wool can. Just boil some water, allow it to cool and then dampen the pad and use it to bathe the eye. The tear duct is in the inner corner of the eye. So if you very gently massage in circular movements around the duct some of the pus may be dislodged and come out (a bit yucky, I know!!).

If the fur around his eye is very stuck down with dry discharge then dont try to pick it off as that may damage the delicate skin around his eye. Instead try to first soften it using the warm pre boiled water. If your Bun will let you hold a damp warm cotton pad over the stuck fur for a minute or two this can also help soften the dried sticky discharge. Then it is a case of very, very gently teasing away as much now more sticky gunk from the fur. It may take several days of doing this twice a day to remove the worst of the previously dried discharge. After bathing the eye then dab the area with a dry cotton pad to dry it as much as possible. You could then apply a little Lacr-lube around the eye to try to prevent more ocular discharge from sticking to the fur around the eye. You can buy Lacri-lube OTC at a Pharmacy. It is the preparation often used by Vets to protect a Rabbit's eyes whilst the Rabbit is under a GA.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/bran...id_47535058245_kword_lacri-lube_match_p_plid_

Last edited:
It's best not to use a flanel, but one of those cosmetic cotton pads which dont 'moult' like cotton wool can. Just boil some water, allow it to cool and then dampen the pad and use it to bathe the eye. The tear duct is in the inner corner of the eye. So if you very gently massage in circular movements around the duct some of the pus may be dislodged and come out (a bit yucky, I know!!).

If the fur around his eye is very stuck down with dry discharge then dont try to pick it off as that may damage the delicate skin around his eye. Instead try to first soften it using the warm pre boiled water. If your Bun will let you hold a damp warm cotton pad over the stuck fur for a minute or two this can also help soften the dried sticky discharge. Then it is a case of very, very gently teasing away as much now more sticky gunk from the fur. It may take several days of doing this twice a day to remove the worst of the previously dried discharge. After bathing the eye then dab the area with a dry cotton pad to dry it as much as possible. You could then apply a little Lacr-lube around the eye to try to prevent more ocular discharge from sticking to the fur around the eye. You can buy Lacri-lube OTC at a Pharmacy. It is the preparation often used by Vets to protect a Rabbit's eyes whilst the Rabbit is under a GA.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/bran...id_47535058245_kword_lacri-lube_match_p_plid_

Thanks will try and get hold of some of that.

Will try the massaging trick when I give him his next lot of drops.

Typically his other eye has started watering badly now, which was fine this morning. Is it safe to use eye drops in both eyes?

Typically his other eye has started watering badly now, which was fine this morning. Is it safe to use eye drops in both eyes?

I should speak with your vet before putting drops into the other eye. Also, once the eye drops have touched the skin or fur around one eye, they will no longer be sterile and could transfer infection to the other eye x

It isn't unusual to have that occur unfortunately. I'd give the Vet a quick call to check that it's OK to treat the other eye too. I think the Vet will OK it, but as Tiacil is a prescription only treatment it's always best to check.

How's he doing within himself now ?

Okay, I'll give them a ring to see what they say about the other eye.

Worried as to why the other eye has started too :(

In himself he's fairly perky, will eat until tomorrow and as cheeky as ever.

There was a slight bit of teeth grinding this morning, but hasn't occurred since I gave metacam.

Back