• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noise vs stress?

Laura416

Warren Scout
Hi - sorry for the stupid, overprotective bunny mommy q.s, but - amidst my paint fumes worry, it hadn't occurred to me the noise re-flooring would bring: hammers pounding, drills, saws, etc. I eventually moved Mimi to an upstairs room w/ a different cage but she hid under the bed most of the time. Eventually, getting her out, I pray she didn't hit her head under there :( Didn't seem to recognize her old cage, either, saved her pee for her "home cage"/main floor!

Is it really possible the noise isn't getting to her? She truly seemed more bothered upstairs than down here. Thanks for the insights...

I had similar worries about our buns in our old flat - the flat above us was under going major renervations and the banging and the drilling were very loud - but surprisingly none of our buns seemed bothered or scared by it. And I've noticed that when we do any drilling or banging in our new home - they are absolutely fine. I was very worried about the window cleaner people that we've got in to do the upstairs windows on the outside - but again. they look a bit interested at the noise at the window but very unconcerned about it.

I think if it's not in their immediate vicinity they are okay? Maybe it's the type of noise - ours don't like the sound of frying food for example and Bobo hates the sound of packing tape (but he's a bit of a silly) - but drilling and banging doesn't affect them.

Who knows - buns are strange little creatures at the best of times.:love:

I had similar worries about our buns in our old flat - the flat above us was under going major renervations and the banging and the drilling were very loud - but surprisingly none of our buns seemed bothered or scared by it. And I've noticed that when we do any drilling or banging in our new home - they are absolutely fine. I was very worried about the window cleaner people that we've got in to do the upstairs windows on the outside - but again. they look a bit interested at the noise at the window but very unconcerned about it.

I think if it's not in their immediate vicinity they are okay? Maybe it's the type of noise - ours don't like the sound of frying food for example and Bobo hates the sound of packing tape (but he's a bit of a silly) - but drilling and banging doesn't affect them.

Who knows - buns are strange little creatures at the best of times.:love:

Defo type of noise I think
Bun also hates frying food noise and the cooker hood but pays no attention to my hair dryer noise, fireworks or the noise my dad was making when he did my laminate flooring a couple of weeks ago. I do sometimes think it's very strange lol

Thank you both! How wild & reassuring! Def. less of a hassle, moving her & moving her back (reno's about 30' away...). Thanks again!!!

Hi - sorry for the stupid, overprotective bunny mommy q.s, but - amidst my paint fumes worry, it hadn't occurred to me the noise re-flooring would bring: hammers pounding, drills, saws, etc. I eventually moved Mimi to an upstairs room w/ a different cage but she hid under the bed most of the time. Eventually, getting her out, I pray she didn't hit her head under there :( Didn't seem to recognize her old cage, either, saved her pee for her "home cage"/main floor!

Is it really possible the noise isn't getting to her? She truly seemed more bothered upstairs than down here. Thanks for the insights...

I find all buns are different. On the whole, excessive and prolonged noise will upset most buns. However, I have an ultra-sensitive bun who jumps when a door closes (not even slams) and woe betide me if I raise my voice. She will run and hide and not come out for food.

Oh my goodness!! What a delicate soul!!

I know! I can't even pluck loose hairs off her as she flinches each time. Pick her up and she hyperventilates.

At her vets visits, he lips and tongue go blue (even just being there) and they get an oxygen tank and a mask for her :shock:

My Willow is outside in her locked shed for this evening... The winds are gusting, expected storm force later on ... She is getting freaked out but I have filled her hidy house with straw,,, she didnt usually bother much with company but now she is herself, she is a bit more skittish and worried..

Back