• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh No ! My Ferni Bun sneezed white snot :(

I can't believe it! :( Iv'e been doing all the research and have her booked into the vets 1st thing in the morning, they are very good.
She has had a couple of sneezes last 2 days but earlier this eve.. she suddenly, with no warning at all, 'shot snorted' a long white phflem string across the shed, it almost knocked her over, bless her ... pasteurellous maybe ? ( can't spell it )

I'll be researching all night now... she's fine in herself, running around and grooming, but wasn't really interested in her eve meal apart from coriander... I'm going to sit with the buns soon... and try not to get too beside myself :(

Last edited:
Thankyou guys x

Does anyone know if URTI's can be caused by hay? I got a new batch in from our local farm about 5 days ago.. they have always produced super hay, but this hay is a batch from a different field, and as it's late in the season it has probably been stored for a while.. it seems fine to me, but the bale covering it came in was wet when it arrived.. I took it inside and aired it for 3 days, and just gave it to the buns day before yesterday... just trying to think of causes, unless the infection - if that's what it is, is something Ferni has always had.. as I know the bacteria are often present anyway ?

Last edited:
I don't know the answers to your questions, but all three of mine carry pasturella and have the occasional flare up but it's quickly controlled with antibiotics. Most of the time you'd have no idea they're unwell x

I don't know the answers to your questions, but all three of mine carry pasturella and have the occasional flare up but it's quickly controlled with antibiotics. Most of the time you'd have no idea they're unwell x

Tis interesting, as Ferni Bun had a sneezy time when she arrived with us.. no discharge or anything, ever, just allergic / stress type sneezes, particularly when a human , even me, came near her. Our vet, at the time, said it was probably stress related as she is a nervous bun.
I have been wondering if she could be more susceptible to URTI's than some other buns .. I've just been out with her and she's quietly munching. I'll take both of them in together, seeing as it is / can be contagious.

Thankyou BattleKat, I'm sure Ferni Bun will be fine . Tis often reassuring to talk these things through, Thankyou RU !

ETA : Through RU I've also learned that bonded pairs should be taken to the vets together, if poss , even if only one of them needs attention. Thanks guys x

Last edited:
I hope you get on well at the vets :)

Hay does not normally cause white snot, though it can trigger an allergy which may be linked with the sneezing.

If she has antibiotics, as with humans, it's important to completely finish the course. If your vet thinks it may be pasturella, you might ask if they would suggest boosting Ferni's immune system with a herb such as echinacea. You can obtain it in tincture form (both with and without alcohol) from health food shops and probably even Boots.

Good luck xx

Thankyou Zoobec x

Ferni Bun had a mellow eve and early morning... enjoyed breakfast, played with Forest, did her thing of sitting out in the run, eating grass and generally being Ferni... shy, knee jerky, but very sweet. No signs of sneezing or discharge or anything at all, anywhere.
But it did become somewhat difficult.. cos Ferni Bun got very stressed when I attempted to sit with her, somehow she knew that today was going to be different.. as I started gently to prepare for leaving.. to cut a long story short,she panicked and thumped and became very stressed... we missed our appointment.
I phoned the vets, and we discussed her well being, outward signs, behavior, eating, poop output and because she is acting perfectly fine .. no sneezing, discharge, nothing, just a lovely bright eyed nervous madam, that we would leave it for today, as due to her nervous nature it may be counter productive to take her in, as yet.

I'm keeping a close eye on her and I can take her in anytime I feel is right, and they will see her.

I know white discharge is not good.. I've got 'Natures Answer' Echinacea Tincture ( alcohol free-immune system booster )that I'm putting a few drops into their water for now.

Thinking on and keeping an eye x

Glad she seems ok. It is amazing how they sense things are different! I feed my nervy outdoor pair in their carrier in the shed every day, but on vet day, Beano always seems to know!

Vet day tomorrow.. had a good day with the buns today, but Ferni ( ' Very Quietly ! ' ) showed symptons of her nose being full of snot - it really seems as though she would rather me not know.. but we all know that bunnies often keep their illnesses quiet ..

So.. we try again tomorrow. It is very very super difficult with a hyper-sensitive bun, just want to do the best for her. We'll get there , tomorrow, if i can get her there without her hurting herself in a panic .. ohhh

Last edited:
Good luck, hope you get on ok :thumb: I had many sleepless nights in the run up to Dandy and Beano's first vaccination with me, which was quite soon after I had rehomed them, and I was just gaining their trust. In the end I had them vaccinated in situ at home, (I had a very sick goat who needed a visit so I combined the two!)

Good luck, hope you get on ok :thumb: I had many sleepless nights in the run up to Dandy and Beano's first vaccination with me, which was quite soon after I had rehomed them, and I was just gaining their trust. In the end I had them vaccinated in situ at home, (I had a very sick goat who needed a visit so I combined the two!)

I've been thinking of that .. the vet call out.. will do it if needed, tis probably best for Ferni anyway.. am on the program , feel better now , Thanks X

I've been thinking of that .. the vet call out.. will do it if needed, tis probably best for Ferni anyway.. am on the program , feel better now , Thanks X

Having said that about the call out, I managed to get them to the vets for this years vaccinations ok, and they weren't too unduly stressed by the ordeal! Dandy kept looking as if he was planning a dart to freedom but mostly they were very submissive. The worst part was getting them in the carrier at home :lol:

Thankyou Zoobec x

Ferni Bun had a mellow eve and early morning... enjoyed breakfast, played with Forest, did her thing of sitting out in the run, eating grass and generally being Ferni... shy, knee jerky, but very sweet. No signs of sneezing or discharge or anything at all, anywhere.
But it did become somewhat difficult.. cos Ferni Bun got very stressed when I attempted to sit with her, somehow she knew that today was going to be different.. as I started gently to prepare for leaving.. to cut a long story short,she panicked and thumped and became very stressed... we missed our appointment.
I phoned the vets, and we discussed her well being, outward signs, behavior, eating, poop output and because she is acting perfectly fine .. no sneezing, discharge, nothing, just a lovely bright eyed nervous madam, that we would leave it for today, as due to her nervous nature it may be counter productive to take her in, as yet.

I'm keeping a close eye on her and I can take her in anytime I feel is right, and they will see her.

I know white discharge is not good.. I've got 'Natures Answer' Echinacea Tincture ( alcohol free-immune system booster )that I'm putting a few drops into their water for now.

Thinking on and keeping an eye x

Just to say concerning the echinacea - I never put meds of any sort (even alternative ones!) into drinking water. I always put it on food and watch that it's been gobbled up. Otherwise you can't be sure she's actually getting it, or getting enough of it :thumb:

Hi.. Thankyou all so much for your replies and advice :D
This is turning as much into a Behavior / Bonding thread, as much as Health.

We did manage to get to the vet okay.. and as Zoobec said.. the worst bit was getting them into the box at home.
Once at the vet's we did everything on the floor, and the Buns were very good, I'm so so pleased I took them in together, as they really did seem to benefit from being together, and I know Forest would have just bossed Ferni around when she got back, cos he is quite 'king of the bunny ranch' when at home.

So, both Buns were checked.. Ferni does have URTI.. but it doesn't seem to have moved to the lungs, which is good - hopefully caught early enough. Forest is displaying no symptoms (asymptomatic)

We are starting with the conclusion that it is Pasturella, which is present in all buns, but because Ferni is hyper-stressy and Forest is calm, relaxed and confindent.. her immune system isn't coping as well as his - stress related.

I have Baytril for Ferni .. and will see how it goes over the next 10 days... if it gets worse, or there is no improvement i'll ask for a nose swab.

I'm giving Echinacea drops on some apple at the mo.. they like it. Thankyou Mighty Max for the advice

Thanks for reading guys, and thankyou RU X So far so good.

ETA : I've just got some banana and pineapple for the meds ( if Ferni wont put up with syringe feeding )
I've heard they are better for the digestion... higher in fibre / less sugar than apple... so less likely to slow the gut ( on top of the baytril ) but not sure ?

Last edited:
Hi.. Thankyou all so much for your replies and advice :D
This is turning as much into a Behavior / Bonding thread, as much as Health.

We did manage to get to the vet okay.. and as Zoobec said.. the worst bit was getting them into the box at home.
Once at the vet's we did everything on the floor, and the Buns were very good, I'm so so pleased I took them in together, as they really did seem to benefit from being together, and I know Forest would have just bossed Ferni around when she got back, cos he is quite 'king of the bunny ranch' when at home.

So, both Buns were checked.. Ferni does have URTI.. but it doesn't seem to have moved to the lungs, which is good - hopefully caught early enough. Forest is displaying no symptoms (asymptomatic)

We are starting with the conclusion that it is Pasturella, which is present in all buns, but because Ferni is hyper-stressy and Forest is calm, relaxed and confindent.. her immune system isn't coping as well as his - stress related.

I have Baytril for Ferni .. and will see how it goes over the next 10 days... if it gets worse, or there is no improvement i'll ask for a nose swab.

I'm giving Echinacea drops on some apple at the mo.. they like it. Thankyou Mighty Max for the advice

Thanks for reading guys, and thankyou RU X So far so good.

ETA : I've just got some banana and pineapple for the meds ( if Ferni wont put up with syringe feeding )
I've heard they are better for the digestion... higher in fibre / less sugar than apple... so less likely to slow the gut ( on top of the baytril ) but not sure ?

Personally I prefer to give oral meds via syringe straight into Bunny's mouth to ensure that the obtain they full dose. Both Banana and Pineapple are high in sugar, Pineapple is has about the same sugar content as Apple, Banana actually has more.

If you find you do need to try to disguise the taste of the Baytril (which is pretty rank to be fair!!) then you could add some herb tea to the dose in the syringe. My Rabbits like this one :

http://www.twinings.co.uk/tea/fruit-herbal/peppermint-fennel-dandelion-root-20-envelopes

Personally I prefer to give oral meds via syringe straight into Bunny's mouth to ensure that the obtain they full dose. Both Banana and Pineapple are high in sugar, Pineapple is has about the same sugar content as Apple, Banana actually has more.

If you find you do need to try to disguise the taste of the Baytril (which is pretty rank to be fair!!) then you could add some herb tea to the dose in the syringe. My Rabbits like this one :

http://www.twinings.co.uk/tea/fruit-herbal/peppermint-fennel-dandelion-root-20-envelopes

Thankyou Jane :D

I know my Bun's illness is not as bad as some of the other Bun's illnesses discussed on the forum, but I'm determined to learn as much as I can about all, and your advice is so welcomed. Thankyou! Best Wishes to you and your furry clan! X

Back