• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsey is sneezing alot

jay1977

New Kit
our beloved cable muching bunny has delevop a case of sneezing :-(

flopsey is now about 14 months old and a vauled member of the family (i swear my better half would let him sleep in our bed if she could :)

just recently bun's has started to sneezing every know and them, and has a sort of whitish liquid coming from his nose,

in himself he seems fines and is he usual happy self, he booked into the vets at the end of the month for some more injections , just wondering if we should take him down sooner?

read many horror storys about how this could be something serious and he could die, which is the last thing we all want (well my speaker cables and ethernet cables could do with a rest, have become an expert splicer of cables)

flopsey is now about 14 months old and a vauled member of the family (i swear my better half would let him sleep in our bed if she could :)

just recently bun's has started to sneezing every know and them, and has a sort of whitish liquid coming from his nose,

in himself he seems fines and is he usual happy self, he booked into the vets at the end of the month for some more injections , just wondering if we should take him down sooner?

read many horror storys about how this could be something serious and he could die, which is the last thing we all want (well my speaker cables and ethernet cables could do with a rest, have become an expert splicer of cables)

I would definitely get him checked over by your Vet tomorrow. Sneezing and a white nasal discharge is usually indicative of an upper respiratory tract infection. If this is the case then it's very important to seek Veterinary attention quickly. After examining your Rabbit, including listening to his lungs, the Vet may conclude that infection is present and he/she will prescribe a course of antibiotics. Baytril is usually the first one a Vet will try. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory eg Metacam may also be prescribed to reduce any inflammation within the respiratory tract.

Sometimes sneezing and a nasal discharge is linked to Dental problems, but as your Rabbit is relatively young this hopefully wont be an issue. Allergies can occur in Rabbits, but the fact that the nasal discharge is white and not clear is more indicative of infection.

Good luck at the Vets xx

A good idea to take Flopsey to the vet sooner than the end of the month. White discharge is indicative of infection, and will need treatment with antibiotics.

Also, when it's time for his injections, be sure his sneezing has finished and he's back to 'normal' as only healthy bunnies should be vaccinated - I'm sure your vet will tell you this too :)

Back