• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What steps to take when one bun dies and leaves another behind

Hi all! Haven't been on here for a while. My lovely Casper was diagnosed with cancer in September, he had a tumour removed but it had spread and about a month later two more tumours appeared. I have been giving palliative care to him ever since but today I had to make the hard decision to PTS. He slipped away at 10am this morning very peacefully. It was his time. I am devastated.

However he has left behind is bonded brother and littermate. I have brought the body home and left it in their shed for Charlie to see. I left him alone, but he I have seen him licking his brother and sitting by him. I left him in there for 2 hours and I have just been to see if they are okay and Charlie is now sitting in his basket of hay eating hay. I moved Casper out and Charlie didn't seem bothered. Is that enough time for Charlie to know he's gone?

I will keep an eye on Charlie but at the moment he's eating and drinking.

I will get him another friend as I don't want him to be lonely but when is the right time?

Thanks for any help!

sad bunny mummy :(

No advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say I'm very sorry you've lost Casper :cry:

Sweet dreams little one xx

Hi all! Haven't been on here for a while. My lovely Casper was diagnosed with cancer in September, he had a tumour removed but it had spread and about a month later two more tumours appeared. I have been giving palliative care to him ever since but today I had to make the hard decision to PTS. He slipped away at 10am this morning very peacefully. It was his time. I am devastated.

However he has left behind is bonded brother and littermate. I have brought the body home and left it in their shed for Charlie to see. I left him alone, but he I have seen him licking his brother and sitting by him. I left him in there for 2 hours and I have just been to see if they are okay and Charlie is now sitting in his basket of hay eating hay. I moved Casper out and Charlie didn't seem bothered. Is that enough time for Charlie to know he's gone?

I will get him another friend as I don't want him to be lonely but when is the right time?

Thanks for any help!

I'm so sorry you've lost Casper.

I think you left him with Charlie the right amount of time, as Charlie seems to have accepted it and now goes about his business.

There is no "right" time to get another bunny. Observation of the bunny left behind, your own circumstances, and also the fact that as he's outside he may not get as much company as he was used to.

Because of the loneliness factor, I would think about either bringing him indoors for the winter, if that's a possibility, or getting him a friend to cuddle up to ..

Good luck and best wishes xx

Thanks for any help!

I am sorry to hear of Casper's passing :cry: You obviously loved him a lot and letting him go when he started to struggle was the kindest thing you could do for him. Even though it was no doubt awful for you.

When a bereaved Rabbit moves away from the body of their deceased friend that indicates 'acceptance'. However, in the coming days you may still find that Charlie occasionally looks for Casper. This should not continue for too long though.

Rabbits vary greatly as to when they are willing to meet a new friend. Some are happy to do so immediately, others wont entertain the idea for several weeks. If you need a bit of time before taking on another Rabbit then would it be possible to have Charlie living indoors ? That way he will have more human company. Then once the Spring arrives and the weather warms up you could look to finding him a companion to share his life with and they could both live outdoors again. Unless of course you find that you like having House Rabbits in which case you could have two furry friends sharing your home with you :love:

Thank you all for your lovely messages.

I love these bunnies more than anything and to lose Casper was just awful. I felt awful having to make that decision this morning but he couldn't eat or drink himself and he was existing rather than living his life. His little spark had gone and he looked sad. As hard as it is to accept I know deep down I did the right thing for him. I am just so so sad.

Charlie is ok at the moment. Just been down to see him again and he came running and had some treats from me, he's now eating hay, so fingers crossed.

My husband won't have animals in the house so I can't bring him inside :( As much as I would love to. I will make sure he's warm and will spend time with him and maybe look for a friend for him soonish then. He has never been alone before as I had the pair of them as babies, so he may well accept company readily.

Appreciate your support!

J

I love these bunnies more than anything and to lose Casper was just awful. I felt awful having to make that decision this morning but he couldn't eat or drink himself and he was existing rather than living his life. His little spark had gone and he looked sad. As hard as it is to accept I know deep down I did the right thing for him. I am just so so sad.

Charlie is ok at the moment. Just been down to see him again and he came running and had some treats from me, he's now eating hay, so fingers crossed.

My husband won't have animals in the house so I can't bring him inside :( As much as I would love to. I will make sure he's warm and will spend time with him and maybe look for a friend for him soonish then. He has never been alone before as I had the pair of them as babies, so he may well accept company readily.

Appreciate your support!

J

If he's not a chewer you could see if he would take some comfort from a soft toy to snuggle up to. A heat pad would be a good idea if the temperatures drop a lot again. He'll also need lots of additional hay bedding.

You certainly made the right decision in giving him a dignified passing. It is testament to how much you love him, putting his need to be at peace before your need to keep him with you.

If he's not a chewer you could see if he would take some comfort from a soft toy to snuggle up to. A heat pad would be a good idea if the temperatures drop a lot again. He'll also need lots of additional hay bedding.

You certainly made the right decision in giving him a dignified passing. It is testament to how much you love him, putting his need to be at peace before your need to keep him with you.

Thank you Jane! It's so heartbreaking to make that final decision.

I have a heat pad and I'll dig out a toy and see if he will have it, he has a fleece blanket that he doesn't chew but he can be a bit awkward about new things! LOL I'll fill his hay beds up.

Appreciate your support!

J

Charlie sounds like he's accepted things, and often it's much easier for a rabbit to get over these things than it is for us.

As he can't be a house bun, eventually thinking of a partner might be an idea, as long as you are thinking of rabbits long term ...

Short term, making him as cosy as possible will help - lots of insulating hay and straw, and maybe also a snugglepad for extra warmth over the coming days and weeks. Thick layers of newspaper on the floor and cardboard boxes to nestle in .. xx

I'm in exactly that position and I feel for you. Sorry you lost Casper...

My hubby wouldn't want Bunnies indoors and I had thought of rehoming her but we are now looking to adopt 2 new boys from the rescue...

At the moment, we are trying to enrich her life outside by toys, tasty Noms an keeping her cosy busy piles of straw and hay in her hidey house and heat pads there too...

We lost Bramble a week ago...

Good luck for whatever decision you make xxx

Charlie sounds like he's accepted things, and often it's much easier for a rabbit to get over these things than it is for us.

As he can't be a house bun, eventually thinking of a partner might be an idea, as long as you are thinking of rabbits long term ...

Short term, making him as cosy as possible will help - lots of insulating hay and straw, and maybe also a snugglepad for extra warmth over the coming days and weeks. Thick layers of newspaper on the floor and cardboard boxes to nestle in .. xx

Yes I will get him a friend soon. I've made him as cosy as possible tonight outside, it's not too cold tonight so that's good too!

I'm in exactly that position and I feel for you. Sorry you lost Casper...

My hubby wouldn't want Bunnies indoors and I had thought of rehoming her but we are now looking to adopt 2 new boys from the rescue...

At the moment, we are trying to enrich her life outside by toys, tasty Noms an keeping her cosy busy piles of straw and hay in her hidey house and heat pads there too...

We lost Bramble a week ago...

Good luck for whatever decision you make xxx

So sorry you lost Bramble. It is heartbreaking. I am so upset but my 11 year old has sobbed all day. so that's heartbreaking too.

I will def get him a friend as he has never been without Casper.

Sorry you lost your bun. I got Little a new friend after 3 weeks but it took 6 months for them to stop fighting. This may not be standard bunhaviour though as she is a) thick and b) mad. I let her sleep on my bed, seemed to comfort her.

Back