• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ever had to spread honey on your bunny? Not such a sweet tail!

Dink

New Kit
Hello fellow bunny parents. Question of the day, have you ever had to spread honey on your bunny? No im not joking :p
My house bunny Binky was castrated back just before christmas, the surgery went well according to the vet and Binky came home the same day.
He seemeed fine the day after but then on Christmas eve morning, the second day of recovery Binky didnt want to come out of his cage, he looked really depressed, hadn't really eaten and let me pick him up which he never lets anyone do. Uh oh i thought. After giving him a cuddle, i had to check out his under carriage. Unfortunately one side of his empty scrotum had swelled up to the size of a grape with bruise fluid, this can happen so I was told, as that area doesn't like being empty. Anyways off to the vet we went...when the nurse turned bunny over the swelling was now the size of a plum and the same colour!!
So it was 3 injections there and then, pain relief, antibiotics and something to make him eat. What a brave bun indeed. Antibiotics and pain meds were given to me to use at home, and a repeat visit in 2 days.

A similar thing happened on our second visit....3jabs. The swelling hadn't gotten any bigger, but it was weeping a little. Was told to leave it alone and let bunny rest in his cage. Visit again In 2 days.

Two more injections this time, Binky was eating a little now so didn't need that jab. The swelling had now hardened, and the vet had a close look and said it was dead tissue, it had no blood supply and would just drop off. It was looking all good.
See us again in 5days just keep giving him the meds by mouth.
....oh hehe I didn't tell you about that fun bit. Binky is a very stubborn bunny and as we found out, unless poorly he won't do anything he doesn't want too ;-) so getting him to take meds in a syringe after a few days just wasn't going to happen. Was told to hide it in pineapple juice because bunnies love it, umm nope mine doesn't. So I just ended up putting it onto his dry food, in a very heavy dish so he couldn't flip it over. This seemed to work, and for the first time in over a week, Binky 'asked' to come out of his cage.

So yeah getting back to the vet visit...we went in and the swelling had dropped off as promised, but on moving his fur it hadn't healed as expected. It had kind of ulcerated, like a flat abscess, or wet scab. Yummy. The nurse cleaned it up and the vet prescribed different antibiotics. See us again new years day.

Bunny was getting most tired of being man handled by now, he has never bitten so I was never worried about that but I did warn the nurses he didn't much like being picked up or on his back and was a kicker. So new years day arrived and off to the vets we went yet again! Today we saw the surgeon who did the op...he was most upset at what had happened, and said it may of been an allergic reaction to the glue they use to stick the wound together. Shame he had only been working at that practice for a week.
Mr vet prescribed Herbiscrub and said I should wash the wound twice a day, dry it and then spread a bit of manuka honey onto it. I did think he was mad but when you hear about it you see sense. He was surprised when I told him Binky didn't much care to be turned over, so said he would show me how to do it and how he should be washed. Mr vet soon found out how stubborn my bunny was hehe.
Well I managed 5 successful rump washings and honey spreadings and its looking a bit better. But this morning binky bunny was like nope, ive had enough im going to squirm and wriggle and kick. I thought best leave it till later rather than stress the poor thing. Vets tomorrow for another check up....keep your fingers crossed for us.

Thanks for reading! Has anyone else used honey? Did it speed healing? And how did you stop bunny from licking it off??
Look forward to hearing your stories, Dink.

Last edited:
I used manuka honey on my bunny Nena. She had/has a facial abscess which required 3 daily flushings with saline and F10 (although hibiscrub would've been another alternative) and packing with manuka honey. It worked well, although Nena's was a difficult abscess. It has been shown to speed and aid healing, so it's definitely a good thing to use! There was not really any way to stop my other bunny licking it off her, however manuka honey is perfectly safe for them to ingest so it isn't much of a worry. Hope his bits heal soon!

Last edited:
Yep I used to regularly pack manuka honey into the cavity left when my bunny's abcess was removed. Can't tell if it did any good as I didn't have an identical rabbit to not use honey on. ;) But I can't imagine it did any harm.

Luckily, as it was a small cavity under her jaw, she couldn't reach it to lick it out :lol: Although her companion used to get the bits that were stuck in her fur :lol:

Mr vet prescribed Herbiscrub and said I should wash the wound twice a day, dry it and then spread a bit of manuka honey onto it.

Do you mean Hibiscrub? It's an anti-microbial liquid used for hand-washing and wiping down surfaces in hospitals and similar. The main active ingredient is the same as in Corsodyl mouth wash.

I used manuka honey, factor 25 on Toadstool when he had a huge internal abscess. Two vets had written him off and they were due to pts the next day. Overnight (on using the honey) the wound turned from angry red to calm pink. The vets couldn't believe it. The abscess healed up fully.

Do make sure you have the right sort - high factor with active ingredient. Hope it goes well! Best to restrain him with a towel so he can't kick/move while you apply it..

Hello fellow bunny parents. Question of the day, have you ever had to spread honey on your bunny? No im not joking :p
My house bunny Binky was castrated back just before christmas, the surgery went well according to the vet and Binky came home the same day.
He seemeed fine the day after but then on Christmas eve morning, the second day of recovery Binky didnt want to come out of his cage, he looked really depressed, hadn't really eaten and let me pick him up which he never lets anyone do. Uh oh i thought. After giving him a cuddle, i had to check out his under carriage. Unfortunately one side of his empty scrotum had swelled up to the size of a grape with bruise fluid, this can happen so I was told, as that area doesn't like being empty. Anyways off to the vet we went...when the nurse turned bunny over the swelling was now the size of a plum and the same colour!!
So it was 3 injections there and then, pain relief, antibiotics and something to make him eat. What a brave bun indeed. Antibiotics and pain meds were given to me to use at home, and a repeat visit in 2 days.

A similar thing happened on our second visit....3jabs. The swelling hadn't gotten any bigger, but it was weeping a little. Was told to leave it alone and let bunny rest in his cage. Visit again In 2 days.

Two more injections this time, Binky was eating a little now so didn't need that jab. The swelling had now hardened, and the vet had a close look and said it was dead tissue, it had no blood supply and would just drop off. It was looking all good.
See us again in 5days just keep giving him the meds by mouth.
....oh hehe I didn't tell you about that fun bit. Binky is a very stubborn bunny and as we found out, unless poorly he won't do anything he doesn't want too ;-) so getting him to take meds in a syringe after a few days just wasn't going to happen. Was told to hide it in pineapple juice because bunnies love it, umm nope mine doesn't. So I just ended up putting it onto his dry food, in a very heavy dish so he couldn't flip it over. This seemed to work, and for the first time in over a week, Binky 'asked' to come out of his cage.

So yeah getting back to the vet visit...we went in and the swelling had dropped off as promised, but on moving his fur it hadn't healed as expected. It had kind of ulcerated, like a flat abscess, or wet scab. Yummy. The nurse cleaned it up and the vet prescribed different antibiotics. See us again new years day.

Bunny was getting most tired of being man handled by now, he has never bitten so I was never worried about that but I did warn the nurses he didn't much like being picked up or on his back and was a kicker. So new years day arrived and off to the vets we went yet again! Today we saw the surgeon who did the op...he was most upset at what had happened, and said it may of been an allergic reaction to the glue they use to stick the wound together. Shame he had only been working at that practice for a week.
Mr vet prescribed Herbiscrub and said I should wash the wound twice a day, dry it and then spread a bit of manuka honey onto it. I did think he was mad but when you hear about it you see sense. He was surprised when I told him Binky didn't much care to be turned over, so said he would show me how to do it and how he should be washed. Mr vet soon found out how stubborn my bunny was hehe.
Well I managed 5 successful rump washings and honey spreadings and its looking a bit better. But this morning binky bunny was like nope, ive had enough im going to squirm and wriggle and kick. I thought best leave it till later rather than stress the poor thing. Vets tomorrow for another check up....keep your fingers crossed for us.

Thanks for reading! Has anyone else used honey? Did it speed healing? And how did you stop bunny from licking it off??
Look forward to hearing your stories, Dink.

Yes many of us here have used Manuka Honey with great success for many years! Primarily on abscesses, to fill the cavity and promote wound cleansing and healing, but for other wounds and sores too. It's been proven to work in humans for decades.

As the honey warms with the hear of their bodies, the honey becomes runny and yes, they will lick it off. Nowt you can do about that I'm afraid :thumb:

Do you mean Hibiscrub? It's an anti-microbial liquid used for hand-washing and wiping down surfaces in hospitals and similar. The main active ingredient is the same as in Corsodyl mouth wash.

He he yes I meant hibiscrub. Diluted one part meds to ten parts water.

Do make sure you have the right sort - high factor with active ingredient. Hope it goes well! Best to restrain him with a towel so he can't kick/move while you apply it..

Hiya thanks for your reply and help...
I'm using factor 15 with active ingredients...I also use a towel! He can squirm out of it even when I hold on tight, the joys of silky smooth hair and a very strong cat sized bunny. He must be feeling much better.

I've never used honey for my buns but I wouldn't hesitate to if needed. Honey is one of the most amazing natural antiseptic and anti-bacterial substances you can find. You can use it on anything from open wounds to treating acne. :)

Good news! Binky is making good progress...a week till his next vets appointment. Yay, way to go honey bunny :)

Back