• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nightmare weather at the moment

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
One day it's fairly mild and the next temps drop and its freezing. Both water bottles froze over last night and I'm getting a bit worried about my two in the shed :( can't bring them inside either.

How have you been finding the weather and have you been taking extra precautions?

I hate the sudden temperature changes. Rained all day yesterday. This morning freezing fog.

I put my bottles in socks. They haven't frozen yet. I've also got a couple of spares - 'just in case'

I was so worried last night, Rosie had run around in the rain all day and got soaked and then in the evening I suddenly realised all the cars were frosting up. So I was running out in my pyjamas every half an hour to make sure they were dry and had plenty of straw and then to put their snugglesafes out.

When I went to bed they were still sat outside in the run rather than go indoors though! I think I forget how hardy they are sometimes

I think they cope better with the cold than heat but it's still worrying. I put my snugglesafe out last night but no idea if they actually use it!

Dorset George, a free-range bun who had access to multiple hutches and hidey-holes all around the garden, used to choose to sit out in the middle of the snow all night long. :roll:

My 2 don't seem to mind the cold .
Plenty of hay and straw and snugglesafe.
But often seen sitting out in the run through the night and been out free ranging
everyday.Lots of binkying and chasing on frozen ground
Eating a lot more though so have increased food especially pellets.

Also they snuggle up together to keep warm.
Hope all single buns are keeping warm:love:

Hi there, Perry and Basil have been coping fine but I do worry! :) I've noticed they are clearing all their bedding off the cardboard when it's been warmer (and no snugglesafe in) and then leaving it there and using it when it's colder (and ignoring the 2 snugglesafe's in a cardbox box of bedding option!) :roll:
The water bowl in the aviary is freezing on occasion but the two clip on bowls inside the hutch + the water bottle in the insulated cover haven't frozen, but they are underneath a hanging layer of the foil bubblewrap insulation over the mesh (with airflow) and then when it's really cold I put a table cloth over that too.

I was wondering, do folks worry about buns eating frozen grass? Can you even stop them? I have heard it's bad for them but not sure (mine don't have lawn access yet anyway but just planning ahead ;-)

Back