• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits settling in issues

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi

I've had my rabbit, Molly for 7 years. She's always been kept outdoors until a month ago, when we decided, due to age and local foxes, that we would bring her indoors. She is bonded to Gerry, who we rehomed in May last year. As far as I'm aware, he's always been an outdoor rabbit too.

They seem much happier inside, and more relaxed. There is definitely more binkies and flopping from them both. Gerry also had an excess caecotroph problem when we got him. Since he's been indoors, he's eaten them all and never leaves any which is fantastic. Any ideas why he's done this? Should he be kept indoors from now on because of this?

They are so cheeky and mischievous, I never knew rabbits could be so cheeky. Even though Molly is 7 years old and has chronic sore hocks, she leaps easily from a standstill to my 3ft high bed, and makes herself at home. :lol: I also barricade an area beside their cage which has all their food and herbs, and Gerry has found a way to get to them. He's highly intelligent. Should I give them more things to do? Should I get them interactive games (like you can get for dogs)? They get a run around outside the cage daily for around 2-3 hours in the evening. Once spring comes, they can go outside in their large run during the day, which will hopefully help with boredom.

Re eating all his caecatrophs, it may be that he has some arthritis which is less sore inside therefore he can get to his bottom better.

Doughnut loves tunnels so you could get one of those and her absolute favourite is her cardboard castle. I've had to cut it down to one level as she can't jump down things! But she loves it. She often jumps up to survey her kingdom or sits inside for a sleep. She isn't really into toys.

My buns ignore most toys too, although they like things they can chew or hide in or both :lol: Luckily those things are the cheapest. Personally I think that the more entertainment they have the better, as when they're bored they tend to trash stuff. :lol:

I rotate their toys so they constantly have something 'new'. :lol:

Boots loves balls, his treat ball I feed him his pellets in, and he has a plastic ball with a bell in it, he didn't bother with it at all, until I slotted a big treat into it and now he loves it. He likes destroying willow balls too :lol:

I'd go for things like different boxes etc. with food in, that way you can rotate things and introduce new ones without spending a fortune on toys. A treat ball is probably the one toy that does give you your moneys worth though - I'd definitely recommend on of those too.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I've bought them some puzzle games (the Teach N treat game) and a birch branch which I can stuff hay + herbs in. They also both love digging (I put throws down on the floor to distract them from the carpet), so i think I'll make them a digging box. I don't know what material to put in it though, that isn't too messy?

I found rolled up balls of newspaper good for indoor digging. Or shreded paper.

My lot all love cardboard boxes with large doorways cut into them.

Treatballs go down well (although sometimes end up in their water bowls)!

Chill n chew mats are brill as well - my hamster loved hers too. Must get more.

Back