• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alittle advise please

xnaomix

Warren Scout
Haven't been on here for awhile but last time I was my female rabbit had a litter of 5 four was rehomed and I kept one back for myself but unfortunately mummy and the remaining rabbit was killed by a fox [emoji22] we was all gutted, she was so loving and caring [emoji17] so obviously the fox came back time and time again and took fluff (another rabbit I adopted before we knew a fox was around) so we got a shed to put the remaining two in and would let them in their runs throughout the day but somehow the escaped and found them hopping around the garden together, I thought I'd caught them intime but woke up yesterday to a little of 4 babies!!

Unfortunately one didn't make it [emoji17] I assume this was because it was really cold outside and he seemed to of been outside the nest?! Anyway I brought mum and babies inside to keep them safe and warm. She has an indoor cage and I made a nest for the babies the best I could, but mum has started to stamp at me a lot, also when I checked earlier one of the babies was near the entrance of the box? I don't understand how it got there??
Is mum maybe abit peed off that I moved her inside?
I read somewhere that if you find a baby out the nest it's because mum is rejecting it?

Any advise would be grateful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f63a2323ca64b9c318e2210c5835d3f3.jpg

This is her temp home! Iv moved jasper outside with the other boy! So she doesn't get annoyed with him being around

If she is stamping it sounds like she may be scared. Have you put her in a quiet room on her own? I would rub your hands in her bedding/litter and gently put the kit back in the nest and then leave her be.

The nest now has something at the side so it's not so open

If she is stamping it sounds like she may be scared. Have you put her in a quiet room on her own? I would rub your hands in her bedding/litter and gently put the kit back in the nest and then leave her be.

She's in the back room, it's off the kitchen so not too bad for noise in there! She was upstairs but didn't have much room so thought she'd be better in there with a run around her, she's use to noise as she was inside when we first got her! She only stamps when I go near her cage

Okay. She will manage fine on her own, so I would stay away from her nest. Feed her as normal in her run area. She will be trying to pretend the nest isn't there to protect her young.

Ok, il just feed her when it comes to checking them & have her on the sofa when I need to clean her out :)

So is she indoors in what was Jasper's house? When you say Jasper is outside with the other boy, do you mean separate but sharing parts of the shed?

If Jasper is usually a house bunny, I wouldn't advise putting him outside at this time of year, he won't have a winter coat so it would be like you suddenly being turfed out of your house and made to live outdoors in just your t-shirt and shorts.

It's very normal for mum to ignore her nest most of the time, and if the babies are moving out of the nest at their age, it will be because they are still attached and suckling when mum decides she's had enough of feeding and gets up to wander off.

It's really tricky to know what to do for the best now because mum has already had her nest disrupted and the stamping might suggest she is unhappy with the change, so it's hard to tell whether she'd prefer to just go back to where she was, or whether further disruption would be more problematic. Is her outdoor enclosure relatively protected from the elements? It's difficult for us to advise what to do for the best because obviously we can't see of picture where each of the bunnies is living, how cosy/secure it is and whether they're safe from other accidental pregnancies (mum could get pregnant again straight away even now). My instinct is erring towards either leaving mum where she is and bringing Jasper back in, or, if she's in his normal house, bringing him back in and putting her back outside if her enclosure can be made nice and cosy and there's no chance of the other male getting to her.

I'd also advise taking the opportunity to get the two boys neutered, that way there's no chance of this happening again and perhaps two or maybe even all of them could live together in a group when the babies are raised?

Good luck with them.

Oops, didn't register about Jasper being outside. You really need to bring him back inside if he is a house bunny. It is much too cold for him to be suddenly put out.
I would still keep mum and babies inside though. You have already moved her once and I wouldn't recommend moving her again. If you upset her too much she will kill the babies.

Jasper's out most of the time but occasionally comes in! Their both indoors now, I brought her hutch in and put her back in there because one of the babies kept escaping.. Not sure how but she seems very happy in there now as does jasper! Panic over

Back