• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance

Jayniekinns

Young Bun
Hey,

I was thinking about taking insurance out on Maisy, however I'm not sure who to go with. I have found 3 different insurers with 3 quite different prices, one at £6, one at £9 and one at £11.50 per month. However, after searching to see if there were any others out there, I was reading another forum where people were saying insurance is pointless and others saying it's good to get.
Does anyone on here have their Buns insured? And if you don't mind me asking who with? The 3 I have found are Pets at Home, Helpucover (who I have never heard of until now) and Petplan.

Thanks
Jaynie:):)

We got ours insured with pet plan and they are really good. It has been well worth it, when we first had buttons he had a serious problem which cost on vet bills nearly £2,000 and when ever there is a problem we know we can always get them the best possible care without having to worry about money. Buttons cost about £140 per year and flake £120 (buttons is older)

I was thinking about going with petplan, though it is the most expensive out of the 3, but it's the one my vets recommend. I'll give them a ring Monday and take cover out I think :)

I took out the helpucover one last March for one of mine as the cover seemed to be comparable to the others, similar exclusions and less excess. I am just putting in a claim so will be interesting to see how it goes as never had to put a claim in before.

We have Petplan and they have paid out thousands to us!
Even on dentals which are very common and not normally covered :)

Hope you don't mind me asking, but if you take out pet plan insurance, what kind of things do they cover?!

I'm guessing you don't need to take out vets plans where they give you discounts? If you already have insurance?

Thanks xx

Hope you don't mind me asking, but if you take out pet plan insurance, what kind of things do they cover?!

I'm guessing you don't need to take out vets plans where they give you discounts? If you already have insurance?

Thanks xx
Generally insurance covers illness and accidental injury. It does not cover preventative treatment (vaccinations, neutering etc). In my opinion most people need insurance. There is an excess, usually £50+ and this goes up every year on PetPlan. But if your pet gets seriously ill they might need thousands of pounds of treatment this year and next year and every year for a long time. Some policies are only for one year, avoid these, if your pet gets ill they won't be covered for the same treatment next year, it would be excluded. A for-life insurance policy will cover you for this so is definitely recommended.

Sometimes a vet plan might work out good value for money even if you have insurance because they let you spread the cost of the vaccinations and panacur etc (if you use panacur) plus they might offer discounts on food or health checks. So check the details of the vet plan, it might be worth it.

Stator is spot on about insurance not covering vaccinations and neutering etc, and different companies will also not cover other things. When I took out my policy 3 years ago, and when I've checked every year since I've found petplan to cover the most comprehensive range of things. As Stator also said, the excess does tend to go up as the rabbit ages... for instance mine was £50 when I took the policy out and 3 years later it's now £70 - but with petplan this is per condition, so for Nena who has now maxed out two policy year limits of £2000 of treatment I only paid £70 per year. Tapla has recurring stasis/snuffles, and if she needs hospitalisation at the beginning of the year for it at £400+ and then needs it again that policy year it's just the one £70 excess. Petplan also work with quite a few vets and will allow the vet to claim back the expenses rather than you paying out of pocket, although this does differ from vet to vet. Definitely go with a for life policy.

Petplan has covered for me: repeated snuffles treatment, many stasis episodes, abscess work, and then other bits like mite treatment which Nena needed due to the stress bringing on an overgrowth of mites. Nena has had about 5 teeth removed now and petplan covered this because it was due to an abscess, and they will cover any burring in the future due to the missing teeth. They will pay to have any teeth removed if they are infected, broken, or causing so many problems that they need to be removed. Petplan do (last time I looked, and Honeybear above has had this covered) cover dental burring as long as you have a full dental checkup at least once a year. This can just be done when you have them vaccinated, as long as the vet records it down in their notes. Essentially illness or injury will pretty much be covered unless it's as a result of not vaccinating, and I think possibly not spaying/neutering. I don't think most companies cover complications relating to breeding, etc. A vet will often fight on your behalf if you ask them too as well... I've had a few small things of about £10-20 rejected as the company queried whether they were necessary for the surgery, however if the vet sees fit to use them for that ailment then the insurance company will almost always agree to it. They do tend to just reject it and you have to try and work it out :lol: However, in about £5000 worth of things I've claimed it's only happened with Nena's abscess surgery which required strange things like F10 disinfectant given to me to flush the abscess out. I can definitely understand why the insurance company thought there might've been an error :lol:

As Stator said, many vets offer plans for neutering/vaccinations/checkups/claw clipping etc. If you (or anyone reading this) haven't had your bunnies neutered/spayed yet they can often work out to be a good deal. Definitely price those up though, as panacur isn't usually recommended as a routine thing as it is in dogs and cats; and some of the other things they include are sometimes not necessary.

Last edited:
Do petplan have a maximum age they cover up to? I know some, I can't remember which, only cover rabbits up to the age of 5

Do petplan have a maximum age they cover up to? I know some, I can't remember which, only cover rabbits up to the age of 5

Well with PetPlan, they will insure a rabbit up to the age of 5, however if I have an exsisting policy I can insure them after the age of 5 but only by renewing a current policy.

I have Alfie with Helpucover, and we've probably claimed around £3500-£4000 in the two or three years since the policy was taken out. To be blunt: had we not have had insurance, Alfie would have had to have been euthanised as we could not afford his treatment on our own. His treatment, when he was a lot poorlier than he is now, came in lump sums of £500, £800, £1100 etc etc - all big sums that we couldn't pay. Little sums we can manage, but big ones we struggle with. I'd really not be without it now.

I've never had problems with Huc, and pay £7.90 a month for one bunny. They've always paid out quickly, not dragged their feet or anything like that. Would recommend them, myself!

I took out the helpucover one last March for one of mine as the cover seemed to be comparable to the others, similar exclusions and less excess. I am just putting in a claim so will be interesting to see how it goes as never had to put a claim in before.

How did the claim go?

Hi there,

I'm covered for our two bunnies with Helpucover. I'd absolutely recommend you get your bunny insured - last year we claimed about £2000 for one of ours. With helpucover the excess and limits are per animal per year, so I've paid £50 total throughout the policy year for a range of conditions. Claiming has been straightforward & I've never had an issue getting the money back. Best insurance I've ever paid for! Makes everything so much easier if when the worst happens and a bun gets ill, you know you're covered and can let the experts do whatever they need to!

Im with petplan - to be honest they've been a godsend in the last 12 months. George broke his leg, had mites and lost all his fur and is now having persistent sneezing fits due to an upper respitory infection (though not snuffles cause it's not pasturella that's caused the infection - it's some other bacteria I can't pronounce). All in all this would have cost me close to £1500 which there is no way I could afford on my own. So I definitely recommend petplan and their insurance and the cover they provide. Worth every penny!

Petplan have been a lifeline for us recently. Even when they quibbled on a claim and so we had to pay upfront, once they received the claim from the vet they paid it straight away. Most vets accept them as direct claim which I know other insurances are not necessarily as they can be slow to pay the vets.

Back