• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet chin... causes - the answer! Post 24

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
On Thursday I noticed Dinky had a wet chin, but only on one side of her face. Yesterday her chin was completely dry but today it's wet again.

The most obvious cause would be dental, but is there anything else? She drinks from a bowl and has always drunk a lot but doesn't appear to have increased this in the last week or so.

On Thursday I watched her carefully when she was eating and she didn't appear to be in any discomfort when eating either hard food or greens. Her output seems to be normal.

I'm really asking because I'm wanting to know "is this a vet trip or monitor" situation. I am taking my new bun for neutering on Monday so can easily pop Dinky along to open surgery.... we're probably taking Rudy too as also around Thursday he started with a weepy eye, which has never been the case for him either:( He too is eating fine and not drinking excessively.

Thanks in anticipation.:wave:

Last edited:
I would suspect 'dental'. Have you felt for any lumps along her mandible ?

Are Dinky and Rudy a bonded pair ? If so does Dinky groom Rudy's face a lot ?

I would get the Vet to check Dinky over, might aswell as you are there anyway :)

I would suspect 'dental'. Have you felt for any lumps along her mandible ?

Are Dinky and Rudy a bonded pair ? If so does Dinky groom Rudy's face a lot ?

I would get the Vet to check Dinky over, might aswell as you are there anyway :)

Thanks, I haven't checked her mandible, I'm angry at myself for not thinking to do so, however I do cuddle her a lot and anything major on her face I think I would notice *goes off to check*. I did try checking Rudy's face for lumps and bumps so I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check Dinky.

Dinks and Rudy are not bonded. However, they are both my eldest bunnies at between 7.5 and 8, with them two and Erin I'm quite paranoid about their health. I would be about Tink too but she had a very thorough assessment a couple of months ago so I'm a little more relaxed about her for the moment.

I can't feel anything round Dinky's jaw ... except her tooth purring that is :lol: She's the only bun I know who would tooth purr whilst I'm fiddling with her face :love:

id think dental, and as you say always best for vets to do precautional check up for you , incase it is dental related , to sort it out sooner rather then later

Dinky got a clean bill of health. The wet patch was a mystery. It didn't have the appearance of the result of drooling and there was nothing to find lump and bumps wise. Her teeth are "fantastic".

She had the wet/matted patch thoroughly washed so it could dry properly and I have to keep an eye on her to see if it reoccurs, in which case it will be more thoroughly investigated, but there were just no clues as to why nor indications that it represents bad health :D She was as good as gold whilst having her face washed too. I was so proud of her.

Dinky got a clean bill of health. The wet patch was a mystery. It didn't have the appearance of the result of drooling and there was nothing to find lump and bumps wise. Her teeth are "fantastic".

She had the wet/matted patch thoroughly washed so it could dry properly and I have to keep an eye on her to see if it reoccurs, in which case it will be more thoroughly investigated, but there were just no clues as to why nor indications that it represents bad health :D She was as good as gold whilst having her face washed too. I was so proud of her.

Great news !!

Just seen this thread .. Great news, even though it doesn't solve the mystery of the wet chin!

its great news her teeth are fantastic, hopefully she just got something sticky on her and ended up getting water on her chin, who knows

Thanks all.

Sadly, the right side of her face is absolutely soaking again :cry: Whatever is causing it, it can't be good from a secondary point of view as the skin will get really sore if it persists.

I've had a rabbit with kidney issues (caused by previous ec) that suffered with a wet chin from time to time. We put it down to drinking more than most rabbits from a bowl. Could Dinky maybe have similar problems?

I've had a rabbit with kidney issues (caused by previous ec) that suffered with a wet chin from time to time. We put it down to drinking more than most rabbits from a bowl. Could Dinky maybe have similar problems?

Thanks

It was one thought I had as Artie (kidney issue/EC bunny) sometimes had a wet chin also. Dinky is drinking a normal amount for her though. The vet also pointed out that it seems more the side of her face/mouth than the underside of her chin. The vet tried to sniff it but as we were both full of cold we didn't get very far!

I've just been to see her again and it isn't really her chin at all. The lower part of her face, level with her nose but not as high as her eye is ringing wet, one side of her face only, it looks awful :cry:

Last edited:
:( I was also going to say was it from drinking, as Fudge quite often has a wet chin as she isn't very clever and tends to drink from the far side of the water bowl!
It can't be that though if it's more on her face. If it's not coming from her eye either I'm a bit stumped. I can't think how to find out other than to sit and watch her for a day and see if you can see how it develops.

Thanks

It was one thought I had as Artie (kidney issue/EC bunny) sometimes had a wet chin also. Dinky is drinking a normal amount for her though. The vet also pointed out that it seems more the side of her face/mouth than the underside of her chin. The vet tried to sniff it but as we were both full of cold we didn't get very far!

I've just been to see her again and it isn't really her chin at all. The lower part of her face, level with her nose but not as high as her eye is ringing wet, one side of her face only, it looks awful :cry:

The mystery continues :?

Is her rear end all clean and dry ?
Is her wee very dilute (like water) ?
Is her weight stable ?
Does the third eyelid on the eye on the wet side of her face seem to be more visible than normal ?
Did the Vet look in her ears ?

Curiouser and curiouser.... today her face is completely dry - it looks like it is just water that's making it wet as the now dry bit isn't stained or sticky - just perfectly fluffy *puzzled*

The mystery continues :?

Is her rear end all clean and dry ? Yes
Is her wee very dilute (like water) ? No, normal yellow wee, sometimes opaque
Is her weight stable ? She wasn't weighed, it's something I could (will!) do but I snuggle with her frequently and she feels the same.
Does the third eyelid on the eye on the wet side of her face seem to be more visible than normal ? No. The vet also spent a lot of time examining her eyes.
Did the Vet look in her ears ? I can't remember but don't think so - what's your thinking on this one?

Thank you.

:( I was also going to say was it from drinking, as Fudge quite often has a wet chin as she isn't very clever and tends to drink from the far side of the water bowl!
It can't be that though if it's more on her face. If it's not coming from her eye either I'm a bit stumped. I can't think how to find out other than to sit and watch her for a day and see if you can see how it develops.

Thanks. Shadow used to do the drinking on the wrong side of the bowl thing too. I think it was something to do with problems with his incisors.. but who knows what goes through their minds :lol:

Curiouser and curiouser.... today her face is completely dry - it looks like it is just water that's making it wet as the now dry bit isn't stained or sticky - just perfectly fluffy *puzzled*

[/COLOR]

Thank you.

Due to the fact that experience has taught me that 'odd symptoms' can be due to ear problems I tend to always want the ears to be looked into !! You could say I am a bit OCD about that :oops:

If the wetness looks to be water is it possible that there is a tiny leak in the hutch and so she occasionally gets dripped on. Unlikely really as it'd be very odd for the wetness to always be in the same place :?

Can you take a photo of her face next time it happens (if it does happen again) ?

When you look at her face to face does one side of her face look to be a bit droopy ?

Due to the fact that experience has taught me that 'odd symptoms' can be due to ear problems I tend to always want the ears to be looked into !! You could say I am a bit OCD about that :oops:

If the wetness looks to be water is it possible that there is a tiny leak in the hutch and so she occasionally gets dripped on. Unlikely really as it'd be very odd for the wetness to always be in the same place :?

Can you take a photo of her face next time it happens (if it does happen again) ?

When you look at her face to face does one side of her face look to be a bit droopy ?

Definitely no leaky hutch as she's in my living room :lol: She lives near the front door which is all glass and does get condensation but a really doubt she hangs about getting wet there but I'm clutching at straws to explain it. No, face look even, except the fact that she is a helicopter bunny anyway so just doesn't seem symmetrical. I've just watched her drinking and she did dip her face in the bowl, she had her face right over the far side of the dish and it was her cheek area that was dipping in the water..... but why now? She's not had a wet face before :? I always go on about ears when I take Tink to the vets with *something* just because her sister has ear problems, but Dinky is very similar in appearance and age so could just as easily be her too. She's in really good spirits, so I'm really hoping its nothing sinister.

Thanks again for your input especially as you are having such a stressful day.

Definitely no leaky hutch as she's in my living room :lol: She lives near the front door which is all glass and does get condensation but a really doubt she hangs about getting wet there but I'm clutching at straws to explain it. No, face look even, except the fact that she is a helicopter bunny anyway so just doesn't seem symmetrical. I've just watched her drinking and she did dip her face in the bowl, she had her face right over the far side of the dish and it was her cheek area that was dipping in the water..... but why now? She's not had a wet face before :? I always go on about ears when I take Tink to the vets with *something* just because her sister has ear problems, but Dinky is very similar in appearance and age so could just as easily be her too. She's in really good spirits, so I'm really hoping its nothing sinister.

Thanks again for your input especially as you are having such a stressful day.

I swear I'd as my Vet to look in my Rabbit's ears even if the appointment was about a sore toe !!

Back