• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very poorly 9 week old bunny

Tudorfan

New Kit
Hi.

We've got a 9 week old baby bunny, only had her 6 days. Rushed her to the vet tonight, around 3pm she stopped eating & had runny poo. She became very unresponsive, I'm very upset as they have said she is unlikely to last the night. I've kept her cage clean every day, unlimited hay and some rabbit pellets for food, hadn't introduced any vegetables. She's been kept inside all the time and watched when running around the room so hasn't ingested anything she shouldn't have. I don't understand what I did wrong, she'd seemed happy and growing in confidence until this afternoon :(

Aw I'm so sorry. It doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong in fact it sound like you've done everything right. Baby buns are so delicate & you've done the right thing in getting her to the vet. I hope she pulls through <<hugs>>

Oh no, poor wee mite. Bunnies are just so fragile.. I am sorry..Lots of vibes sent xx

Sending lots of vibes. Are the vets rabbit savvy? If not it would be worth trying to get her to one.

I hope your little one is ok. This exact thing happened to one of mine when they were little. It was a long recovery with her, with lots of close monitoring and looking after but she is now 4 years old so don't give up all hope. The vet confessed to me after that he wasn't sure she would make it. Sending vibes for her xxx

Hi.

We've got a 9 week old baby bunny, only had her 6 days. Rushed her to the vet tonight, around 3pm she stopped eating & had runny poo. She became very unresponsive, I'm very upset as they have said she is unlikely to last the night. I've kept her cage clean every day, unlimited hay and some rabbit pellets for food, hadn't introduced any vegetables. She's been kept inside all the time and watched when running around the room so hasn't ingested anything she shouldn't have. I don't understand what I did wrong, she'd seemed happy and growing in confidence until this afternoon :(

I am really sorry :cry: Sadly gastrointestinal problems in Rabbits of 8-10 weeks can occur as the gut flora is changing and the Kit is also likely to be stressed from being in any new environment. I do hope that your Kit can pull through, but your Vet is right to prepare you for the worst.

If you obtained the Kit from a Pet Shop you need to alert them as to what has happened. There may be a disease outbreak in the store which could also have effected any other kit they have on sale. If the Kit was from a Breeder you need to inform him/her too.

Sending vibes for your little rabbit.

Rabbits are so fragile when they are small, particularly if they've had a change of environment - or maybe even more than one. They do respond to stress rather badly ...

The very best of luck x

Unfortunately she passed away 2 hours after we left her with the Vet. He thought it might have been a neurological problem but I guess we'll never know. Told the store I got her from & they said they hadn't had any other Rabbits ill but again I guess we'll never know! Funny how you can love something so precious who had been in your life for such a short amount of time!

RIP: Nala. Xxx

Oh no,I am so very sorry that you lost your little bunny. You did all you could, so please don't blame yourself. As others have said, bunnies have a very delicate system, and can go downhill so very quickly. Binky free little bunny, and a big hug for you too xxxx

Unfortunately she passed away 2 hours after we left her with the Vet. He thought it might have been a neurological problem but I guess we'll never know. Told the store I got her from & they said they hadn't had any other Rabbits ill but again I guess we'll never know! Funny how you can love something so precious who had been in your life for such a short amount of time!

so very sorry for your loss :cry:

So very sorry to hear this. Run free little one :love:

Back