• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poopy BunBun

blakesm

New Kit
Hello All,

I'm new to these forums, so if I am supposed to add on to a previously existing thread on this subject instead of booting up a new one, I apologize!

But now onto my issue!

I have a black holland lop named David, he is fantastically well mannered and under one year of age (he is almost nine months to be exact). He uses his litter as he should and eats a ton. However, in October, I had him neutered, which caused many of his habits to change.

First off, he is now scared of my boyfriend. We bought the rabbit together and David used to be very close with my boyfriend. However, now when he even approaches David, he runs off, almost tripping over himself.

Secondly, his litter habits are completely off balance, he now misses using his litter a lot now, often relieving himself in areas other than his litter.

Thirdly, David now urinates on both my boyfriend and I when held.

Fourthly, as of today, I've had to wipe down his bum as his bowel movements have become more liquefied and less solid. Over the Christmas holidays, we were down at my mum and dad's place. Within this period of time was when David began heavily missing his litter and relieving himself all over his cage floor. Usually when we take him to the parent's house, he misses at times, and we dismiss it as him being nervous of the family dog. But now that may not be the case, since David attempts to approach the family dog and doesn't seem scared in doing so.

Fifthly, David is attached to his litter pan. Though this was a habit that he kept before and after his neuter, it concerns me. He also sleeps in his litter bed even though nice soft blankets are provided for him. Is that just anxiety that he may miss the bathroom?

It's been two days since we are back at our own apartment, and usually that is when David's litter habits tidy up a bit, but they have not.I am thinking of taking him to the vet tomorrow.

I did a little research before posting this, and many forums stated that he could have too much fiber in his diet? I do notice David prefers his kibble, and is now picky about his hay since we switched him to Timothy hay. His water intake has not changed since I got him. I have taken the kibble away from him for the night and have always given him unlimited hay.

I would also like to note...
- he is still active and running around
- he is in no way underweight, the vet has said he weighs about as much as a small/large cat
- we give him little to no treats as my boyfriend and I have assumed that his stomach is probably sensitive. He gets the odd piece of kale and basil, but that is very very rare. The last time he received kale was on the 26th of December.

I will post photos of his kibble/hay and fecal matter once I figure out how to do so..

Thanks for the help guys! And Happy New Year!,

Megan

I also forgot to mention that I have noticed one of his pellet poops was attached together by a hair. Could he have some sort of furball that is not passing through? I do notice he grooms quiet excessively.

Last edited:
Hi, I would definitely take him to the vets tomorrow, it wouldn't do any harm to get him checked out. It may be that he is upset at being moved about if you have been away for the Christmas period, or it may be that his diet needs adjusting a little, how many pellets a day does he usually have? Maybe try him on hay only for a few days to see if the lose poops stop? Either way you don't want to leave him if his poops are loose as bunnies can become poorly very quickly:wave:

I was told to give him unlimited kibble and hay until he breached over the year mark.
I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. I am giving him his space and I can hear him eating away at his hay. Would you recommend feeding him anything else? I've read about owners giving their rabbit steel cut oats for runny fecal matter?

I've just had our 2 girls spayed and a day after their op one of the girls produced a poo that looked similar to the one in the picture, when ai phoned the nurse to update her I mentioned it and she told me they can have poo's like that due to stress.
I would say it may be worth a call to the vet, they may be able to reassure you or suggest bringing him in for a check.

Hiya.. Yep definitely get him to the vets. It may be that he has potential teeth issues if he isnt nomming as much hay as before and choosing pellets instead. He may be needing less food more hay to balance his tummy. Ask your vet.

A trip in the car can also upset bunnies so your family trip may have partly contributed as it can be stressful

As for his toileting habits, i'm no expert but it takes a while for hormones to settle

In all.. Good luck

Fee xxxxx

Last edited:
Hi I've just looked at your pics & he's being fed the best if pellets (IMO)
Rabbits shouldn't have access to unlimited pellets & looking at his litter tray the wet poo looks like an uneaten ceacotroph (sic) if may even be a bit smelly unlike the round poo which all look how they should look. I'd reduce his pellets to a small handful once a day & give him unlimited hay.
You say he's been nervous since his op, it could be that a man scared him while he was at the vet, unfortunately there's no way of knowing what happened. I had a very confident bun who changed after he accidentally bit my son, my son yelled & instinctively flicked teddy off his hand resulting in Teddy becoming reserved & nervous, bun never fully recovered his confidence, no matter how much time my son spent trying to make it up to him
I'd still take him to the vet, maybe he's suffered a bit of nerve damage when they neutered him or he may even have an infection. Hopefully they will sort him out & you will have your dry bunny back again. Good luck

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

By taking away his kibble last night, I heard him chowing down on his hay all night. In the morning, I checked his litter tray and found more pellet poops and the only ceacotroph I saw was the mushy one from last night. I am still thinking of calling the vet for some reassurance.

As for the wet bum, I checked his bum this morning and it seemed to dry. I think I will keep him on strict hay for awhile and re-introduce pellets slowly as the days come.

Back