• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kissy's first cold, what are the side effects of baytril?

Macly

New Kit
Happy New Year from Kissy who's been sick now. She is 4,5 months old mini lop and mean to me world.
I want to ask question as she is second day on antibiotic that she hates and we have to chase her and give it to her even if she tried to run from us. Heartbreaking. We took her to vet as she's been sneezing for one week and 2 days ago there we White discharge on the floor. Her eyes were bit red and watery and doctor showed me her little runny nose.
Baytril is the antibiotics she takes 2 times per day. She don't like it but still got her appetite for vegetable but no all the food, pellets and didn't drink water today what worries me the most. Also she's sleping all day long on/off with break maybe 10-15 mins. Should I be worried?

You have done the right thing getting her to the vet I doubt if the Baytril will clear up the snuffles but paws crossed. All vets first prescribe Baytril because it is the only anti-biotic registered for rabbits. A good way to get it down them without causing stress is to mix it in with 2 teaspoons of plain porridge oats mixed with warm water to make a stodgy consistency. Also ask your vet for Metacam or Loxicom (to be given once a day) this is a pain killer and anti inflammatory and buns usually like the taste of it because it is sweet, I would add this dose to the oats and Baytril mix. My bun Big has snuffles and oats in warm water is how she takes her meds, she licks the dish clean.

You may also need some Bisolvon powder from the vet, this is a decongestant and will help bunny get rid of the mucus. A tiny pinch of this powder can be added to the oats in warm water too.

Side effects of any antibiotic are mainly down to interruptions in the gut flora. These will show as a decreased appetite, smaller poos or runny poo. Its always a good idea to support the gut with a probiotic or plant supplement. Protexin rabbit pellets are a good manufactured support, but plants such as plantain and blackberry leaf are excellent and usually readily eaten.

Protexin:
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Protexin_Pro-Fibre/c1020/?quick_find=112789&gclid=CNrxnJfe98ICFVDHtAodgE0AAg

Plantain:
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/plantain.html

There are still leaves on some blackberry bushes at the moment, pick the newest ones and avoid any with black spots

In addition dandelion is a natural appetite stimulant and also usually loved https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/dandelion.html

Sleeping is normal for rabbits during the day, she may be sleeping a bit more than usual as her body is trying to fight the infection.

If you dont see any results with the Baytril there are many other drugs to try, when you go back for a check up as about other options.

Another tip for getting her to take the meds is to syringe it into a bite size fruited shredded wheat

Good luck, I hope she feels better very soon

To add - if you are worried about her water intake then wash the veg and leave it wet for her, she will get some extra water that way

Back