• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits dying!!

Chipney

New Kit
A few weeks ago I lost one of my rabbits, I had a trio, 2 brothers and a female from another litter. They are all almost 2. I lost a brother, he was ok in the morning, went out 3 hours later and he was dead. I went out this morning and I have now lost the brother! Any ideas?? They were both well and healthy. So now I'm left with the female on her own. I have an indoor bun that I could bond her with, but I'm worried that there is something going on and don't want to risk my indoor bun by bring her in. Help.

Hi,
So sorry for your losses, how awful for you.
I would keep the two females separate for now, I know it sounds awful but maybe a vet could do a post mortem to see what caused the rabbit to pass away. Do you have any foxes that frightened them maybe? Were they vaccinated?
I hope you find the cause and be able to bond the females soon xx

No there were not vaccinated. Although tomorrow I'm going to get my indoor bun done! We have kites over all the time and we lost a bun to an attack about a year ago. So it's possible they received a fright.

Hi, sorry to hear of your losses, especially so close together.

I was going to.ask too if they had been vaccinated. I would keep both separate and get both vaccinated with a period of quarantine to ensure they was no underlying issues.

Also the vet would do a full health check on both too. Stasis can also affect a bunny suddenly.

I'd get them both vet checked .

All the best
Fee x

I will take my indoor bun tomorrow, as he is only 10 weeks. I'm going to quarantine the remaining outdoor bun then when I know in door bun is covered by jabs I will take the outdoor bun to the vets.

A few weeks ago I lost one of my rabbits, I had a trio, 2 brothers and a female from another litter. They are all almost 2. I lost a brother, he was ok in the morning, went out 3 hours later and he was dead. I went out this morning and I have now lost the brother! Any ideas?? They were both well and healthy. So now I'm left with the female on her own. I have an indoor bun that I could bond her with, but I'm worried that there is something going on and don't want to risk my indoor bun by bring her in. Help.

I am very sorry for your losses

Without a Post Mortem examination it is impossible to say for certain why the Bucks died. It would be advisable to get your two remaining Rabbits checked by a Vet at the earliest opportunity. If neither are vaccinated then this needs to be done at some stage. Your Vet will advise you about exactly when depending on the Vet's findings after examining you Rabbits.

I would certainly not attempt to bond your remaining Rabbits until both have been Vet checked. I would also thoroughly clean the accommodation used by the Rabbits, steam cleaning is a way of eradicating many pathogens without resorting to toxic chemicals.

It may be that noise from Fireworks last night caused the recent sudden death. If there were a lot of loud fireworks going off nearby. But that can only be a guess and it is essential to take action to address a possible pathogen that has claimed the lives of the two Bucks

May they rest in peace.

I will do. I completely forgot about the fireworks last night!!! There were loads here! Defo will get to the vets asap though

So sorry for your losses :( A post mortem really is the only way of knowing for sure what happened - and the sooner it's done, the more chance there is of identifying the cause. Were there any signs at all? Any odd shaped or unusual poos in the time leading up to the bunnies' dying? Any weight loss at all? Do the bunnies come out into the garden and has anything changed recently - for instance could it be possible that they have eaten something toxic? Is the food and hay the same as normal - nice and dry and sweet smelling, no dampness or mould? Are the bunnies any particular breed? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think through various possibilities.

Like the others, I would suggest a vet check (and vaccination if they are found to be healthy enough) as the first port of call, and then perhaps a few weeks' quarantine before thinking about bonding the two remaining bunnies.

I hope your remaining bunnies are ok x

The ones I lost were nethies. I have changed nothing. My buns are on decking and have the run on 9fy by 14ft everyday. Maybe yesterday he was a little quiet, but once I opened the door he was up and out as normal.

Back