• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poopy tail- diet related?

Emmy131

New Kit
My rabbit has been getting faeces stuck to her tail and bottoms of her legs, They have a large hutch to run around in, and I clean them almost every 2-3 days. She is on the larger side but I'm not sure how to cut her food down as she lives with a male...

I think shes getting this because shes eating most of the pellets, whereas my male doesn't get it and must be eating most the hay...I leave the bowl in there for them as I'm out all day so can't take it out after i've put it in

Can anyone advise how I would either cut down the pellets without making my male loose weight or without her eating all the pellets to herself?

Adult buns should only be getting a handful of pellets once a day, I recommend reducing the pellets dramatically. If you're worried about hay, heap it up, enough for them to burrow into, huge piles of it.

Can you give them pellets just once or twice a day? Rabbits don't need a lot of pellets, usually 1 egg cup full per day is enough for one rabbit and the rest of their diet is mostly hay.

I give my guys a handful or two of pellets per day (but not all at once, mine do better if it's spread out throughout the day) and they gobble it down in minutes. They have hay all day so they don't need access to pellets too, or they'd just eat the pellets and ignore the hay.

I weren't sure about dramatically reducing as I know rabbits are sensitive to change. So would it be best to give them a small handful in the morning and then another small handful in the evening?

What brand of pellets are you using?

Change in the form of food additions can certainly cause gut upset, but as you are already experiencing a case of a bun with gut upset, removing a possible cause could only serve to improve matters! It will also encourage her to eat her hay and improve her gut in that respect too.

You are right that they are sensitive to change, so if you gradually reduce the pellets until they are on a handful in the morning and another in the evening that would be fine. Some veg can cause them to have a messy bottom too, particularly carrot, as it is sweet, so I would reduce veg if they have a lot of that too. You could scatter the pellets in the hay to make them search for them, it might encourage them to eat more hay too :thumb:

Back