• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tapla - snuffles/cataracts

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Poor little Tapla! She has snuffles, but it flares up quite infrequently and has always lead to her stopping eating before now. I caught this flare up early and so she's now on zithromax for 2 weeks and I also have some zantac in case she stops eating. However her snuffles doesn't appear to present in quite the normal way - it's always quite runny rather than thick, and every vet has tended to umm and ahh about whether to put her on antibiotics as it's not very severe. So my vet has mentioned that it'd be a good idea to do x-rays at some point, especially because Tapla does always have snuffly/rattly breathing even when she doesn't have a flare up. Tapla is such a wimp bless her, so I feel bad for her. She also has small cataracts in each eye due to e cuniculi, however we can't worm her because both Nena and Tapla have chronic infections (Nena has an abscess, Tapla has snuffles) so there's no point as they'll just keep catching it back off each other. Apparently the cataracts shouldn't grow too much more because they've presented at such a late age - Tapla is just less than 5 and a half.

My poor little poppets. I'm sure a few of you will be aware that Nena has been battling an abscess since February and has her own massive thread in the health section. My poor little girlies :(

Bless her, at least the girls have a great Vet whom you can trust. They also have you, their dedicated slave !! I hope Tapla's Snuffles respond well to the Zithromax xx

Aww, poor little buns :( At least they have each other for comfort and snuggles! I hope you feel better soon girls :love:

Poor Tapla :( I think Mimzy had zithromax for his nasal issues years ago (that or his tilt) and it really helped clear things up for him. :)
He also has mild cataracts but his ophthalmologist (yes there is one at our vet for the furries) said they were every slow progressing and wouldn't likely bother him at his age. He is 8 this year.
Good thing as he's also deaf...to be deaf and blind would be perhaps too much hardship for him with his wonky head. :(

Many healing vibes for Tapla. xxxx

Healing vibes for Tapla, and of course for Nena's continuing health.

You certainly have been a loyal bunny slave! x

Thanks everyone :D Jane, you're right - it's so great to have a vet you can trust and believe in. It's great not to have to second guess your vet :lol:
You certainly have been a loyal bunny slave! x
I definitely feel like it! It's a shame neither seem to appreciate the effort :lol: Still, I do love their grumpiness :love:

Tapla is being a nightmare, arghhh! The first night of medication she took most of it, with much hesitance, when I put it on carrotys. Last night she wouldn't take it on carrotys/crunchies, from the syringe, in recovery food or in any way at all :roll: So I had to bring her inside to force it down her and a fair amount dribbled out.

Today she was totally fine with my mom at breakfast time, at 11am she was funny with me and wouldn't come in the shed. I was concerned until I realised she had eaten totally normally at breakfast time at 8am and was eating treats through the run :roll: Then she ate fine and has been acting fine all afternoon/evening until she refused to come into the shed again this evening :roll: So I had to enlist my moms help to get them both into the shed where they were both worried. So I put her on their shelf and syringe fed the zithromax and zantac, where again I'm not sure she got the full dose, and now she's most unimpressed :roll:...

So I have no idea whether the first 3 days have done any good and I'm not sure if I have enough left to finish the 10 day course either :roll:!

Little sod! She took it fine last time :roll:! Hmph :roll:

I think deep down they MUST appreciate you! Just they express it like elderly relatives :lol:

I frigging hope so!

I've been reading back over my threads about Tapla over the last few years, and I'm fairly sure that I really want to get those x-rays done and see what might be causing all these strange symptoms with Tapla. Reading the threads back I remember how stressed and upset for her I've been every time she's stopped eating, and I feel we need to have a bit of a look at why this is happening. Obviously that'll be in due course though, once we finish antibiotics. I'll finish this course of antibiotics and then speak to the vet about the best way to proceed.

Gonna go see if they've forgiven me yet!

Well, Tapla is not right :( For the last 3 days she's been very fussy about what she wants to eat, and her poos have been smaller. They're a good colour and consistency though, so it's clear that's she's just off her food a bit rather than stasis. I've been giving her zantac twice a day for the last day and a half, and I've given her some metacam this morning just in case she's in any pain with her tummy. Nena is also a bit off her food so I have a feeling that the food just maybe isn't very tasty right now. Neither want any fenugreek crunchies from a new bag I've opened.

So far I haven't had to syringe feed Tapla. Gonna let them run around in the utility room in a bit while I clean out their shed. I'm hesitant to let them out into the garden just in case Tapla hides from me. It's also soaking wet out there and I don't want to get them completely wet through!

Well I checked on Tapla and she was acting much more normally, so I let them out for a run around in the garden while I cleaned out their trays. She was acting pretty normal and has eaten everything I've given her since her run around. Gotta disrupt the lovely peace to give her 3 syringes of medication later though, so I'll see how long her happiness lasts :lol::oops:

Back