• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opinion on limping bunny after toe clipping

Dizzyneddy

New Kit
Hi! Everyone just want opinions really. Yesterday l clipped a couple of the bunnies toenails asthey were getting long. Noticed this morning one of them was limping abit so l've checked her over & noticed abit of dry blood on her end toenail so l obviously caught her. However, yesterday after clipping her l didn't notice any blood & she didn't even flinch at all.

I was thinking of allowing her a couple of days as l think she is foot sore from catching her toenail & restricting her so then she can't go daft & injury herself. Then if there is no improvement get her to the vets to be checked over.

Just want people's opinions l've had bunnies for years & never had one that has been lame after nail clipping before. If she needs a vet l won't hesitate to take her but don't want to be over comcerned. Thanks

Hello

It sounds as though she caught her claw after you clipped it and the quick is now exposed. This would be sore when in contact with the ground. Have you checked the actual toe to make sure it is not swollen/dislocated ?

If it is just a broken off nail then the discomfort should resolve quite quickly, certainly within 48 hours. But my concern is she may have injured her toe as a consequence of the nail getting caught on something.

I would keep an eye on the exposed quick to make sure no signs of infection develop.

Hope she will mend well :)

Thanks Jack's Jane, for responding no there's no swelling or anything but you can tell that there is the slightest bit of dry blood on her last toe. But the poor lass never jumped in reaction & there were two of doing her to try to avoid a mishap. l can't see that there is an infection but will keep an eye on her.

If l had not noticed that l'd caught her clipping l would have took her to my vet asap. She's been kept in her hutch today to avoid further injury & for her to rest. She can be daft & goes in a large indoor run most of the day. I've accidently caught a bunny's toenail before but he was fine & wasn't lame the following day. I will observe her & if she's not 100% in a couple of days will get her checked out. So thanks for the advice

Back