• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zithromax - tailor off or just stop?

Julia123

Warren Veteran
A question for those who have used Zithromax for respiratory conditions - did you finish course and stop or tailor off?

I've heard that it is more effective if given every day for a week then every other day for another week. We've only just started it so not got as far as discussing that with my vet yet but all info would be useful. I know it's a relatively new drug

Many Thanks

None of my Rabbits have been prescribed Zithromax so I cant help here, sorry.

I hope the treatment will help your Bun xx

I've had it prescribed for one of my buns although not for respiratory issues.

From what I remember (it was back in May 2013) she had a 2 week course and had it daily for 5 days then every other day for the remainder of the course. It did upset her stomach a bit.

I've had zithromax prescribed at least 3 times now, and every time I've just stopped dead when told to. One time it was given for months on end for an abscess, and 2 other times for snuffles. Every time I've given it twice daily, every day, for a prescribed course (always been 2 or more weeks for me). I wasn't told to taper it off, just stop when the course runs out :wave: I should mention that my vet is excellent so I trust her implicitly :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I searched on here and found the 5 days tailor period mentioned here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-s-been-hospitlised-today&highlight=zithromax by Mackers. A rabbit savvy friend of mine mentioned the every other day after a week dosage too. I've asked my vet to get in touch with Simon at the Cat & Rabbit clinic and find out more. I will let you know what I find out.

Jane, its for Fandango - the Fortekor did nothing for him, however stopping the Ronaxan and Metacam did show some deterioration and sneezing, so I think we do now have an answer at least, that its respiratory. We are on day two, dose is due at 4pm. So far his breathing remains the same but I have noticed a marked improvement in his behavior, so fingers crossed. We had full on binkies this morning, plus he is not holding his head up as much and sleeping with his eyes closed.

My research also flagged up potential anorexia and dysbiosis and I found a thread on here where the first dose caused pain. With that in mind he is Protexin pellets as well as plantain. He also has dandelion, coltsfoot and a mix containing nettle and birch amongst others. He is on twice daily metacam too to support any inflammation.

Interested in any other experiences with Zithromax

Thanks again x

Thanks for the info, I searched on here and found the 5 days tailor period mentioned here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-s-been-hospitlised-today&highlight=zithromax by Mackers. A rabbit savvy friend of mine mentioned the every other day after a week dosage too. I've asked my vet to get in touch with Simon at the Cat & Rabbit clinic and find out more. I will let you know what I find out.

Jane, its for Fandango - the Fortekor did nothing for him, however stopping the Ronaxan and Metacam did show some deterioration and sneezing, so I think we do now have an answer at least, that its respiratory. We are on day two, dose is due at 4pm. So far his breathing remains the same but I have noticed a marked improvement in his behavior, so fingers crossed. We had full on binkies this morning, plus he is not holding his head up as much and sleeping with his eyes closed.

My research also flagged up potential anorexia and dysbiosis and I found a thread on here where the first dose caused pain. With that in mind he is Protexin pellets as well as plantain. He also has dandelion, coltsfoot and a mix containing nettle and birch amongst others. He is on twice daily metacam too to support any inflammation.

Interested in any other experiences with Zithromax

Thanks again x

I really hope that the abx will help him. It sounds as though he is starting to feel a bit brighter, that has to be a good sign xx

Hiya :wave:. As noted above, I've had it for both bunnies and piggies. Simon has used Zithromax for years now and it's a very effective antibiotic (Simon jokes he should have shares in the company). When Pea had a tooth root abscess removed surgically, she had Zithromax every day for 5 days followed by every other day until the remainder of the solution had been used up. I seem to remember Simon saying Zithromax tends to have a cumulative effect in the body throughout treatment and CAN sometimes cause tummy problems, which is why he changes to every other day for the second week. However, Jaffa (piggy) is currently on it for respiratory problems and he's having it once a day until all the solution has gone (around 10 days).

So be lead by your vet as different illnesses, and even different pets, calls for a different approach to treatment.

I believe my head tilt bunny, Mimzy, took this during some point in his life either for tilt or perhaps respiratory issues, but it was only once because my vet doesn't like to prescribe it unless absolutely necessary as she feels it's a stronger, higher end abx for use in only dire circumstance and she fears resistance can build to it with regular use more than other abx.
I'm afraid I don't recall the dosing regimen that well though as it was long ago. :( As far as I can remember, Mimz never had tummy trouble on his course which I'm fairly certain we just stopped at the end, no taper. But he is a bun with a bit of a cast iron stomach and actually has better digestion when using some abx like Baytril. :?

Sending vibes for Fandango's full and swift recovery. :) xxxx

matt had zithromax quite a few years ago. i can't remember alot of the details, but know it was stopped rather than being tailored off. :wave:

just read back on matts thread and he was on it for eight weeks, although i haven't written what dose and whether it was on and off treatment. it was stopped as it wasn't working well in his case. :wave:

eta: 2009 that was! :shock:

We have used it both for respiratory probs and for abcesses ..
sometimes short courses ...sometimes for up to 4 weeks . We don't stop gradualy ... we just do the course then stop .

Thanks folks, Fandango didn't react well and started to lose his appetite, do a few slimy poops and became very skitty. I stopped after the second dose (Tues). Took all day yesterday to get him to eat and poop :-( I really want to give it a go, but I think I need to speak to my vet about trying a reduced dose. I have read that it's better tolerated on a full stomach too so I need to get him back to 100% as far as his appetite goes before I try again.

don't risk it if he's had a bad reaction to it. there are other things to try. think we went through most of them trying to find something that worked for matt. x

Thanks folks, Fandango didn't react well and started to lose his appetite, do a few slimy poops and became very skitty. I stopped after the second dose (Tues). Took all day yesterday to get him to eat and poop :-( I really want to give it a go, but I think I need to speak to my vet about trying a reduced dose. I have read that it's better tolerated on a full stomach too so I need to get him back to 100% as far as his appetite goes before I try again.

I'm sorry he has had an adverse reaction. I used it for my rabbits many years ago, and I do know of another rabbit who had to be taken off it.

I wish you luck, and hope discussions with the vet will solve the problems x

My bunny Pansy had an awful reaction to Zithromax, within 20 mins of her first dose she was huddled up not wanting to eat or move, it's really harsh on the stomach I believe. She was ok after a weekend of intensive nursing and fluids, but I wouldn't use it again.

Thanks guys, I have discussed with my vet and we are going back to Ronaxan, although this hasn't so far cured his belly breathing it does stop his sneezing and keeps him happy. I've decided to get a conscious x ray done, but only if I can be there and he doesn't have to be left in for the day - I'm seeing my vet tomorrow to see if she will agree to it.

Louise it was your original post about Pansy that made me aware that complications could occur, so thank you for that. It helped me to make the decision to stop a I knew it must have been the Zithromax

Thanks guys, I have discussed with my vet and we are going back to Ronaxan, although this hasn't so far cured his belly breathing it does stop his sneezing and keeps him happy. I've decided to get a conscious x ray done, but only if I can be there and he doesn't have to be left in for the day - I'm seeing my vet tomorrow to see if she will agree to it.

Louise it was your original post about Pansy that made me aware that complications could occur, so thank you for that. It helped me to make the decision to stop a I knew it must have been the Zithromax

I hope that Fandango can remain comfortable and that tomorrow's appointment goes as well as possible xx

Back