• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny!!

beki

Mama Doe
I've just reserved a new bunny from the local rspca. Waiting on a homecheck - I need to assemble my new hutch- but they have told me that the new hutch will be ok based on its size. He needs neutering which they will do and then hopefully he will be mine in a few weeks. Then the bonding begins! I hope ruby likes him and it cheers her up, she looks so sad on her own since reggie died. I keep bringing her indoors for brief periods for cuddles and so she can chase the cats ( she likes this, they too seem to like it as they always come back for more) but I know it's not enough.

What do I do if she doesn't like him!!!

He is a Dutch cross and he is quite large (I always thought Dutch rabbits were small?) he was apparently found as a stray and no one claimed him, he is microchipped but not registered which seemed odd but the lady at the rspca said that now p@h do
Microchipping some aren't registered for some reason. He is about a year old. He doesn't like being picked up but seemed quite content being held an stroked. He has a bit of blue pigmentation in his eye, the vet has checked and found nothing wrong so they think it's just a bit of harmless pigmentation.

How exciting !! I hope all goes well with his op' and then with the bonding. You may need to leave introductions for a few weeks to allow his hormones to settle down. Would the RSPCA Centre assist you with the bonding process if you are a bit nervous of doing it yourself ?

Looking forward to seeing some photos !! Have you chosen a name for him yet or are you going to wait until you get to know his character a bit to see what sort of name suits him ?

I guess it depends what he's crossed with to make him larger than a normal pure bred dutch. I'm sure a dutch x conti would be much larger than a dutch x Nethie for example. Can't wait to see photos! :)

Thanks Jane :) no rspca don't offer bonding but give advice. I bonded once before and know that ruby is a dominant and bossy bunny so she is the one to watch, and she will nip him and fight if the bonding sessions between her and reggie were anything to go by, but I think she is so desperate at the moment for a friend she might take to him quite well, I hope he is the same.

He is currently called Smartie which might stick but I do like names beginning with "r" for rabbits so currently have Ralph and rufus on the list.

What size is a normal pure bred Dutch? I haven't actually seen a fully grown one in the flesh for a few years. My friend used to have one, not sure if she was pure bread but she was fairly small. Ruby is around 2.2kg and he is a similar size to her but she is fatter (in the more muscular chunky sense rather than fat, she is a thrianta and they are quite chunky).

Sorry, another question. He isn't vaccinated, ruby is, will I have to keep him separate from her for a bit following the vaccination or can I start bonding after vaccinations?

Sorry, another question. He isn't vaccinated, ruby is, will I have to keep him separate from her for a bit following the vaccination or can I start bonding after vaccinations?

How lovely to be getting a new bun :wave:

Will the RSPCA vaccinate him before he comes to you? His hormones will need a few weeks to settle anyway after the castration, so that should cover the period when the vaccination would kick in.

Neutral territory is the key. I have bonded stroppy females before, and you just have to hang on to your nerves and hope the male has a sense of humour :shock:

Good luck x

What size is a normal pure bred Dutch? I haven't actually seen a fully grown one in the flesh for a few years. My friend used to have one, not sure if she was pure bread but she was fairly small. Ruby is around 2.2kg and he is a similar size to her but she is fatter (in the more muscular chunky sense rather than fat, she is a thrianta and they are quite chunky).

Ideally about 2.2kg :)

I asked the rspca about vaccinations and they said no they don't do it as it will put their adoption fees up. I'll get him booked in for vaccinations as soon as I get him then.

Jane, looks like he wasn't crossed with a big rabbit then, my friends Dutch must have been a tiny one! Or a cross with a nethie or something.

I am planning on bonding outside in the run, the run structure itself isn't neutral but the ground will be as I will move it to where ruby has not been, other option is the bathroom which is neutral. I did think of the kitchen (after mopping the floor) but last time I bonded I had puppy panels to use and I have since sold them. Bathroom is tiny though, or even tinier is my separate toilet. I can't keep them together though for a long period as I can't have them inside during the winter so I'm going to have to separate them and put them back in their hutches. Not the best method I know but it worked last time!!

how exciting glad you passed your home check, it makes you feel even better when they pass you and say your setting is appropriate and great :)

Yes it's a relief to pass the homecheck. I had just got a 6x2 double hutch and was putting lino on the floor when the homecheck lady arrived so my current rabbit wasn't in it. She did look at my current hutch which is in pretty bad condition (hence the new hutch purchase) and I though oh no I'm going to be judged on that, but a new hutch shows I am improving so I suppose that's good.

Rspca rang this morning, new bunny has been neutered but has chewed at his wound and has made it quite swollen so he will have to stay with them a bit longer. I don't mind really as I would rather him be there with vet care readily available rather than me worrying about trying to book him in at our vets at short notice.

Exciting times ahead! Looking forward to seeing pictures. I love Dutch rabbits (and part Dutch ):thumb:

Back