• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating properly:-(

WelshGirl

Young Bun
Hi,

My oldest bunny Arthur, who is two as a half has started being really funny about eating. I was worried that he wasn't himself and not eating enough so I took him to the vet yesterday who felt his tummy and said it didn't feel as full as it could but didn't feel empty, but that he wasn't bloated at all. She also checked his teeth quickly and said they were fine. He has eaten a small pile of spring greens this morning and has picked at the hay in his tray, but is ignoring his pellets completely. Gwen, his companion, is eating normally. He's even only taken a few nibbles of a treat stick and then sat there ignoring it :-( my better vet is not there until Tuesday - she has a lot of rabbits herself - so should I take him when she is there?

Today it's the same vet he saw yesterday. He gets very stressed going in the basket and car and hates to be handled, but I don't want him to be unwell :-(

Thanks everyone xx

I'd ring them to explain the situation. Sounds like the beginning of a gut problem so if that's the case waiting til Tues could be harmful. They might be able to let you go to the vets yourself and pick up painkiller /gut stimulant to give him yourself at home before your preferred vet can see him Tuesday. I personally wouldn't wait to act in some way x

Thanks so much x

I'm going to call them again as soon as they open at 10.30. I'm not leaving him until then without anything being done. My poor boy :-( I did tell then he had a problem with his teeth before and didn't eat the morning I took him in. If needs be ill take him again today for something and take him early morning before I go to work, leave him to see the more rabbit savvy vet and then collect him after work.

I hope they do something today - so worried about him :-( xx

Thanks so much x

I'm going to call them again as soon as they open at 10.30. I'm not leaving him until then without anything being done. My poor boy :-( I did tell then he had a problem with his teeth before and didn't eat the morning I took him in. If needs be ill take him again today for something and take him early morning before I go to work, leave him to see the more rabbit savvy vet and then collect him after work.

I hope they do something today - so worried about him :-( xx
I honestly wouldn't worry too much yet. Sounds like you're doing the right things so fingers crossed whether it's gut or tooth related or something totally different you'll have caught it early.
Good luck, hope he picks up soon x

I honestly wouldn't worry too much yet. Sounds like you're doing the right things so fingers crossed whether it's gut or tooth related or something totally different you'll have caught it early.
Good luck, hope he picks up soon x

Thanks x have an appt at 3.30 today, so hopefully he will get something to help x

While you're at the vet today I'd maybe ask them to check th inside of his mouth again. Being picky about food is also a classic symptom of dental problems and it can be difficult to see everything when bunny is awake.

Back