• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise on how to care for Rabbits in winter

MSOLARES

New Kit
eleven rabbits living in my backyard, I have a shed that I plan to use to house them. Problem is I cannot catch them (they are too fast). Someone advised me to buy hay so they could make a nest and sleep there. I bought the hay, but don't know how put it in the shed. Should I spread it all over the floor? Should I make little piles? I don't have boxes. Any advise is welcome.:shock::cry::?

He/she is in the States I believe.

I'd just cover all the floor in hay or straw. Does the shed have a door on it? I was just wondering if you could get someone to hold the door while you shoo them in or something. I let my rabbits free range, they are usually good at coming in, but sometimes I have to herd them in with a brush! I have read the story about how you came to inherit them, so I know they have never lived in the shed.

The hay can go all over the floor if you're trying to tempt them in. I'd also put their favourite foods inside, as hay alone may not tempt them, they like to eat it and sleep on it but rabbits don't really tend to make nests unless they are pregnant.

Your best bet is probably to wait till as many as possible are inside then quickly close the door. Then you'll have to round up the rest - I'd use some barriers like a dog pen to slowly restrict the area they have as you herd them into one area, then close in on them so you eventually have a small area and can catch the rabbits easily. You'll probably need a couple of friends to help. Do they not have any cages or shelter at the moment at all?

Back