• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lopsy's Meds

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Lopsy's holiday carers have done an outstanding job: he's well on the mend! He's got Baytril, Metoclopramide and Cimetidine. We're, erm, learning to syringe feed those but he doesn't need Rescue feed anymore. We need to do this until Tuesday when he's back at the vets. He's become an indoor bun too, which is definitely not in his best interests but hopefully it'll only be until Spring, right?!

Do have one question: any of these need to be refrigerated, or just kept in a cool, dark place? I know Baytril is best not in the fridge, but couldn't find any definite information on metoclopramide or cimetidine.

Lopsy will be living in the (converted) attic in his run for the time being: it's not perfect but we really don't have ANY bunny-proofed space!

Last edited:
Hi, sorry I can't advise on the keeping of meds, I'm sure others on here will, but just wanted to say I'm so pleased Lopsy is so much better. I really felt for you when you posted he was poorly, when you were away, what a worry. Anyway well done carers ! nose rub for Lopsy xx

We haven't been refrigerating our metaclop. Not sure about the cimetidine but if it is the same as ranitidine, we weren't advised about refrigerating that either.

Hope lopsy feels better soon x

Lopsy's holiday carers have done an outstanding job: he's well on the mend! He's got Baytril, Metoclopramide and Cimetidine. We're, erm, learning to syringe feed those but he doesn't need Rescue feed anymore. We need to do this until Tuesday when he's back at the vets. he's beocme an indoor bun to, which is definitely not in his best interests but hopefuly it'll only be until Spring, right?!

Do have one question: any of these need to be refrigerated, or just kept in a cool, dark place? I know Baytril is best not in the fridge, but couldn't find any definite information on metoclopramide or cimetidine.

Lopsy will be living in the (converted) attic in his run for the time being: it's not perfect but we really don't have ANY bunny-proofed space!

None need to be stored in the fridge, just away from direct heat/light :)

Thanks everyone! Neither me nor Matt have any similar-looking medicines so we've put them in a kitchen cupboard.

Last night's administrations went quite well, but we've had no luck on two attempts today. First, we tried to see if I could do it on my own but my arm's not long enough to stop him wriggling AND hold his head up :( We've let him settle after each attempt, back in his mockup crate. On number two he was far too curious and went for a brief hop around the lounge! There are FAR too many places for him to hide away so he got scooped up quite quickly. We'll try again in a moment: even banana isn't helping :S

We'll move his run inside later today: put some carpet over the laminate so he doesn't get cold or sore feet (he's not a Rex) and brick it down, and he'll have more space to bounce about, which should help! What sort of temperature should I try and keep it to? I've got a radiator (currently off) and a portable radiator up there but it'll never get above 16°C in this sort of weather because it's so big! Down here in the lounge it's currently 17°C and won't go much higher (yes, we live in a cold house!).

Glad Lopsy's on the mend:) I have to admit I had terrible problems syringe feeding Scrappy's medicine, she would kick and buck quite violently to the point it became extremely stressful for both of us :( In the end I just used the syringe to measure the correct dose and then put it onto a small dish which she lapped up quite happily on her own accord. She took metacam and septrin "straight" (ie without having to mix it with food) whereas baytril had to be hidden in small pieces of bread. Not sure how readily he'd take the other two you've been prescribed/ More experienced bunny owners will be able to give you tips on mastering syringe feeding but putting the medicine onto a dish might be a useful way of getting the medicine down in the meantime.

Hope you do manage to get him to take his medicine!

Vet gave him a clean bill of health and signed him off yesterday: some good news for you all :) No bloating, no obstruction, just fine! He was taken in on Christmas Eve with a temperature of 105.9F :shock: and how it had gone so high so quickly, or indeed what cause it, no-one will ever know! But he's fine now and that's the important thing!

I've told him if he's ill again it'll be Baytril by syringe and he won't like it so he better not be ;P

Back