• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Speed dating arranged U/d Progress! (photos p33)

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
...to look at single female rabbits.

Barney is so clingy since Priss died, he follows me everywhere and sits and sulks the rest of the time :( I know he needs time to settle and adjust but I wanted to see if there was anyone I could bond him with in the new year.

I feel a bit guilty to be honest, but I think if I look forward and concentrate on finding him a mate, it will keep me busy and take my mind off things. I need to be sorting things out, I can't just sit and grieve or it'll upset me even more :( And it takes time to health check, home check etc. before anyone comes home with you, so I don't want him to be waiting ages and getting more subdued and grumpy :(

There are 3 beautiful girls, and another girl who had just been brought in and was fighting with the inspector whilst we were there :roll: She was so mischievous and very curious to see everyone! One was a little baby, the others were 1 or 2, so Barney's age.

I don't know if I'm doing right, I don't want to rush into bringing another bunny home but I want to make sure there's someone lined up for Barney when he's ready for another friend.

How long have people left it after a death before re-bonding?

Last edited:
After the loss of my first rabbit I waited a good couple of months because he was 7 (nearer 8 ) and I didnt want a baby rabbit. I lucked out and he decided he wanted a little white 1 year old fluffy girlfriend who made him very happy in his last year.

After his death, she started to hide under the bed a lot so I got her a friend a couple of weeks later (Ig died on 11th and we picked up Walt on 28th).

I think you do what is right for you and bunny not what is 'proper'. :)

I don't think you've done the wrong thing at all. It is a case of putting Barney's needs first, which is exactly what you've done (although, of course, it will give you something to focus on, which is good).

I've not been in this position with rabbits before, but with my dogs, we have always had 2, and when one died the other one was utterly distraught, so we had to put his needs first and started looking straightway, even though we weren't really ready. As Babsie said, it gives you something positive to focus on too :thumb:

I only waited a couple of days with my April. It really depends on the rabbit, because some rabbits are happier with company and feel lonely/depressed without it. April likes having company.
You have to put their needs first really, and having a new bunny does bring joy, although it will never replace the one you lost obviously.

Yep,both times Willow fretted so I only left her a week before rebonding.being an outdoor bunny, she would get too lonely...

All of my bunnies have only has a week to 10 days before rebonding - they have all been outdoor buns and would be very lonely without a friend.

...to look at single female rabbits.

Barney is so clingy since Priss died, he follows me everywhere and sits and sulks the rest of the time :( I know he needs time to settle and adjust but I wanted to see if there was anyone I could bond him with in the new year.

I feel a bit guilty to be honest, but I think if I look forward and concentrate on finding him a mate, it will keep me busy and take my mind off things. I need to be sorting things out, I can't just sit and grieve or it'll upset me even more :( And it takes time to health check, home check etc. before anyone comes home with you, so I don't want him to be waiting ages and getting more subdued and grumpy :(

There are 3 beautiful girls, and another girl who had just been brought in and was fighting with the inspector whilst we were there :roll: She was so mischievous and very curious to see everyone! One was a little baby, the others were 1 or 2, so Barney's age.

I don't know if I'm doing right, I don't want to rush into bringing another bunny home but I want to make sure there's someone lined up for Barney when he's ready for another friend.

How long have people left it after a death before re-bonding?

I think what you're doing sounds completely right to me, and if it feels good to you, there's no problem. Just because you are making plans to get a female rabbit doesn't mean she will necessarily land on your doorstep tomorrow (though she may :))

I completely get your reasons, and as for how long after a death to rebond? Depends entirely on the bunny, and you. Barney will certainly be sure of how he feels when the time comes - if he's ready or wants to wait longer .. x

I'm glad other people have rebonded their rabbits quickly - it makes me feel better that I'm looking for another bun and not like I'm just turning my back on Priscilla. I'll always love her and remember her, but I also need to take care of the bunny who is still here.

I wanted to take all the girl buns home :cry: There's a big grumpy agouti girl who stamps her feet a lot, there's the little tiny baby (who I picked up but was fidgeting and kicking - she just wanted to run around and not to be held!) The naughty new arrival and also a little black dwarf bunny who was running round giddy and came over for a cuddle and a kiss :love:

I've been in this position three times, the first time we left it 2 days, the second time 12 days (there just wasn't any in our local rescue) and the third time was 3 days. The recent being after the loss of Flopsy in October, 3 days later we went to the rescue, Lily found a friend and we left her there with him for 3 days. It's hard adjusting to seeing them all loved up with a new friend but it does take your mind of things.

You're doing the right thing. Good luck with finding the perfect rabbit!

Please don't feel guilty about looking so soon, it doesn't mean you loved Priscilla any less, only that you're doing what is best for the bun left behind. When Nibbles died I remembered how happy Munch was when he was with her compared to how he was before she arrived & knew he needed another companion. We took him to a rescue & let him choose his new missus & I must say he made a wonderful choice, but it took me years to get over Nibbles death

Good luck Barney :love:

As others have said don't feel guilty, you are putting your bun's needs first by helping him get a partner quickly. Some buns are not ready to rebond straight away and others need the company. There is no right or wrong *hugs*

The meetings went okay, he seemed to get on well with all three girlies and was calm despite a bit of foot stamping :D

This is the little girl we think he got on best with so he is going up just to meet her again tomorrow.

Does anyone know what breed she could be? She looks part nethie so quite a lot smaller than Barney:

Glad he got on well today, fingers crossed for tomorrow :thumb: I don't know about breed but she is gorgeous :love:

She is lovely :love:

It's hard to tell from that pic but I think she looks at least part nethie.

Glad Barney is getting on well with the ladies :love::love:

She looks lovely. Certainly part nethie - with longer ears maybe? Or perhaps that's the camera angle ...

Well we went up to the RSPCA for our second date and Ivy ended up coming home with us :shock:

Because we had already passed a home check in May we didn't need another one, and her health check was done so I decided to go ahead!

Both buns are sat quietly now, not snuggled up but sat close to each other. I've cleaned Barney's room and put them straight in there after they'd sat in the bath for a couple of hours. I know you are supposed to have buns on neutral territory for the first few days but Barney has free run of the house so there's nowhere that isn't 'his' really. Also when he bonded with Priscilla he seemed to settle down much quicker after going back into his own space and calmed right down, so hopefully this time will be the same. I hope it works again or I will have to rethink things.

There's been some humping and him chasing her around, but no nipping or scuffles so far (fingers crossed!)

Back