• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding wild birds

Hc1

Mama Doe
My rabbits have access to free range the garden, is it safe to put up bird feeders, or are the dropped bits of food/inevitable droppings likely to be a problem for rabbits? Its been pretty cold and I'd love to put out some seeds/nuts for the birds but I'm unsure if it's a good idea or not.

I don't deliberately allow bird food to fall onto the floor where the bunnies can access it but they do nibble what's on the floor with no ill effects. My main concern is attracting vermin such as rats with food on the floor so I tend to put out just enough that will be eaten in one day and I throw it onto the shed roof where it's less likely to fall on the floor.

Good question! I'm afraid I don't know if any diseases are directly transmissable between birds and rabbits, but I guess it might increase the risk of birds bringing in diseases such as VHD on their feet (amongst the many other ways it could be brought in e.g. on hay, clothes, wind, dogs etc.). As with everything, I think it's a case of minimising risk!

For example, you could confine the feeders to one small area so it's easier to disinfect (using a safe cleaner such as Ark-Klens) or even exclude your rabbits with a bit of fencing. Or maybe put the feeder above something that will catch droppings e.g. hang the feeder from a hanging basket bracket on a fence, with a 'shelf' below).

Maybe use mesh feeders so that whole seeds/nuts aren't dropped on the ground that the bunnies could eat (although in my experience the scraps get hoovered up pretty quickly by ground-feeding birds!). Choose the seed mix carefully, lots of standard mixes have dried corn etc. (and check none of the ingredients are toxic to bunnies)

We have several bird feeders in our garden, but have put them in trees in the corner which we block off because the leaves probably aren't bunny safe. I think the birds appreciate an extra food source in this weather!

Wild birds can carry coccidiosis so I would try and avoid contact between the rabbits and wild birds and any food that the birds drop.

I used to love feeding the birds in the winter before I had rabbits. i don't feed them anymore for fear of attracting cats.

Back