• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny pulling his claw off :-(

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me or has had something similar with any of their bunnies.

I have a 1 1/2 year old netherland dwarf who has really tiny claws (he's a really tiny bun anyway) but they seem to be really weak and he's pulled nearly the whole claw off two of his toes now. Ive had them checked by a vet who says they are okay but they bled well and it must have really hurt him!

The question im asking is whether anyone has had something similar and if so how did they prevent it from keep happening? Or is there any supplements you can get to help strengthen his claws? They are clipped regularly and are always kept short so that isn't a problem but he doesnt even need to do much to pull them off so im just hoping there is something we can do to strengthen them a bit to help him out.

Sorry for the really long post but thank you for any help you may be able to give!![emoji4]

Do you keep his claws clipped short ? Nails that are a bit too long can catch on things and get pulled off

A Fungal or Bacterial infection in the nail bed can also cause nails to be weak and to fall off.

This may seem an odd question to ask here, but does your Rabbit have any dental problems ? If you look at his incisors is the enamel on them ridged at all ?

Does the clipping leave any ragged edges that may be getting caught on anything in his cage? Make sure they are clipped with a sharp cutter. Some cutters I tried splinter the nails or leave ragged edges.
I have owned rabbits for many years and this does sometimes happen for no reason. You can try some septic powder or liquid (like they have for shaving cuts) to clot the blood quicker. I also cleaned the rabbits litter area to prevent infection.

Heya, thank you for all your suggestions. Yeah his claws are kept short because thats what I was worried about to start with but he has just pulled one off again and they are really short. The vet checked his nails and said they were healthy just a bit weak? So I dont think there is any infection in them. He has his teeth checked regularly, im a bit paranoid about them because ive read all the problems it can cause so he has them checked every month along with a weight check and the vet has said they are brilliant every time. I will double check the clippers we have are still sharp, the last time I cut them I didnt notice that they had left ragged edges but I will definitely double check this next time they are cut!! Thank you so much for all your replies!! Xx

Back