• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Female buns fighting, illness!

Laurenfaye91

New Kit
Hello
I know this is a common topic but can't find any that really relate.
We bought 2 female rabbits (honey and cinnamon) from p@h birstall in September, approx 3 months old. Initially they lived in a double hutch together. A week after, honey became gravely ill (mucoid enteritis). We had suspicions cinny was attacking honey. We split the cage.
Thankfully honey pulled through. For the past couple of months they have been living in a greenhouse, loads of room to run etc and they both got along well and seemed happy.
Yesterday, (Christmas Eve), honey was behaving markedly different, usually excited to see us and loved eating, she was withdrawn and eating minimal food, some hay. Softer poos. We took her to the vets, she had some injections and given us meds.
She's no better, her poos are even softer and we had to clean her bottom last night. This morning fur found, cage partly destroyed, cinny has been attacking honey again.
Sorry this is so long winded, my question is could the bullying be causing illness due to stress? How come they got on so well for months? And, if we got them neutered could they be happy together again?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
c0ff4ed949253af22f27290f9233cd4f.jpg

Here they are having a selfie together whilst they were getting on well. :(

Also, obviously can't get honey neutered as she is currently ill, would just getting cinnamon done be ok? (She is the aggressive one?) forgot to say also that honey started humping cinnamons face a few weeks ago, this obviously annoyed cinnamon who chases her afterwards for a while. Both rabbits are never aggressive with people.

You will need to keep them apart until they are both spayed. They have almost certainly reached puberty now and this is the reason why they are now fighting. That combined with Honey being ill again. If you leave them together then serious injury to one or both of them is very likely to occur.

If Honey is no better today you need to contact a Vet again (today). Especially given her recent history of muccoid enteritis. Was she tested/treated for coccidiosis ?

Back