PDA

View Full Version : new member, new rabbit advice

deb80
25-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Merry Christmas!!!

I need a bit advice, and apologies for the short introduction. I'm deb and I bought a rabbit yesterday after our old lovely Mimi house rabbit died. I have bought a giant french long haired lop ear about 4 months old, buck, yet to be named. Im not sure if hes angora, i dont know what constitutes angora! I bought him local but I have some issues, firstly, I figured out long hairs and saw dust don't mix! I've had a saw dust nightmare on my hands this morning!!! What do you or in your litter trays?? Secondly, he's used to being brushed he does sit happily to be brushed but I don't think he's been brushed enough and has mats and some dreads, is there any easy way to get these out. He has a bit of a runny nose I think, I know that's not common in rabbits and I'll take him to the vets. Overall, I just don't think he's in the best of nick. I was hesitant to buy him when I saw him, but then thought I could look after him a bit better. Any advice?

SJH
25-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello and merry Christmas!!

I too had a lop with longish hair and I feel your sawdust pain!! I started using "paper wool" instead. It's like shreds of toilet paper :)

As to the mats - I'd give him a good brush but, if necessary, cut the mats out (very gently) with some mail scissors. Be careful though as their skin is delicate.

Finally, a vet check when you can sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for buying him to care for him rather better than he has been cared for to date :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iggyperdyandme
25-12-2014, 12:22 PM
happy christmas to you too :)

i have no idea about angora but i have two skirted lion heads who have very fluffy heads and bums. I stopped using sawdust long ago after I had a bunny who was allergic. We just have hay and news papers. I dont know much about knotted hairs either sorry. The runny nose could be lots of things and obs a vet would be best to diagnose but I have had a bunny with snuffles who lived a happy and generally healthy life.

Hope he settles in well :)

Sarah1989
25-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Happy Christmas to you and your new bunny. I have very floofy lionhead bunnies and I ditched the sawdust not long after I got them. I now use Fitch or a similar thing is carefresh from p@h but it's very expensive compared to Fitch. I'd give him a good brush on a regular basis and carefully cut out any knots. As a baby, Blueberry used to get dreadful knots under his ears (he's a mini lion lop) which I used to have to cut out.

We also like to see pictures on here :)

deb80
25-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I did try to upload some but I can't so I've uploaded them to Pinterest :

http://www.pinterest.com/girlontheplot/rabbit/

He's currently having get fun munching on a carrot and playing/eating wrapping paper! We've called him Hugo!!