• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new member, new rabbit advice

deb80

New Kit
Merry Christmas!!!

I need a bit advice, and apologies for the short introduction. I'm deb and I bought a rabbit yesterday after our old lovely Mimi house rabbit died. I have bought a giant french long haired lop ear about 4 months old, buck, yet to be named. Im not sure if hes angora, i dont know what constitutes angora! I bought him local but I have some issues, firstly, I figured out long hairs and saw dust don't mix! I've had a saw dust nightmare on my hands this morning!!! What do you or in your litter trays?? Secondly, he's used to being brushed he does sit happily to be brushed but I don't think he's been brushed enough and has mats and some dreads, is there any easy way to get these out. He has a bit of a runny nose I think, I know that's not common in rabbits and I'll take him to the vets. Overall, I just don't think he's in the best of nick. I was hesitant to buy him when I saw him, but then thought I could look after him a bit better. Any advice?

Hello and merry Christmas!!

I too had a lop with longish hair and I feel your sawdust pain!! I started using "paper wool" instead. It's like shreds of toilet paper :)

As to the mats - I'd give him a good brush but, if necessary, cut the mats out (very gently) with some mail scissors. Be careful though as their skin is delicate.

Finally, a vet check when you can sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for buying him to care for him rather better than he has been cared for to date :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happy christmas to you too :)

i have no idea about angora but i have two skirted lion heads who have very fluffy heads and bums. I stopped using sawdust long ago after I had a bunny who was allergic. We just have hay and news papers. I dont know much about knotted hairs either sorry. The runny nose could be lots of things and obs a vet would be best to diagnose but I have had a bunny with snuffles who lived a happy and generally healthy life.

Hope he settles in well :)

Happy Christmas to you and your new bunny. I have very floofy lionhead bunnies and I ditched the sawdust not long after I got them. I now use Fitch or a similar thing is carefresh from p@h but it's very expensive compared to Fitch. I'd give him a good brush on a regular basis and carefully cut out any knots. As a baby, Blueberry used to get dreadful knots under his ears (he's a mini lion lop) which I used to have to cut out.

We also like to see pictures on here :)

Back