• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CRACKED IT!!! Finally found a hay Willow likes!! :D *Non Hay eaters Read this*

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Hello

I've literally tried every single type of hay.. Oxbow, Woodlands, Alfafa King,P@H etc - You name it i've tried it. Cheap and very expensive alike she would seem interested for a few nibbles then literally Kg's would be getting chucked away!
I recently decided to try her on the Alfafa King Oat, Wheat & Barley hay and she is munching away like there is no tomorrow and *TOUCH WOOD* this has been a good few days and still interested and munching away ... YAY :D

If your bunny is a non hay muncher such as mine, I have tried everything and obviously not eating hay is really not good for the gut so she has been on Readigrass and Fibafirst sticks to ensure she has enough fibre however now I can cut back on these things and let her eat more hay :) Though i recommend trying both those things if you find you are struggling and defo try the hay!

Link -https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/922208497629603232?biw=1366&bih=696&sclient=psy-ab&q=oat+wheat+and+barley+hay&oq=oat+wheat+and+barley+hay&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d24&tch=1&ech=1&psi=ccyZVILqCov-UPOjhLgL.1419365489671.5&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX202jyZW9H4KoVHt_9jou7PhN4WQ7b6mcl3ZsfdLr62nyIWVuLP0BF1CXrxfCA_9eTPMB0cLVUa-pPfmtxUUFIze32-28fGEm-Np50WA3XhqhA1eIhIZAFPVH70-RNH7EDF2WQEq7vvqgP01zK-TOA&ei=eMyZVOa3KoryUt-whLAL&ved=0CGYQpiswAA

What are your guys bunnies like? Any tips on getting them to munch more?? :)

Well done on finding a hay Willow likes - hope she carries on liking it! :)

I had to try different hays before I found ones she likes. She loves oat hay so I'm going to see if I can get hold of some of the Oat, Wheat and barley as I think she might like that. Other things I've done to get her to eat more hay are:

1) Adding a bit of forage - especially into the fresh batch I give her first thing in the morning after she's had a few pellets and she's greedy for more food :lol:

2) She has some veg for dinner in the evening. Rather than chopping and putting into a separate bowl, I often grate them and mix in with the hay. It's more difficult for her to pick the veg out that way so she has to eat all the hay as well if she wants to get to it!

3) I fill a tub with hay, then grate a couple of small slices of apple or pear. Grating the fruit is a really quick and easy way to turn it into a puree, which I then mix into the hay. I've found you only really need a small amount to make a whole batch of hay taste like apple/pear. I don't use this one too much (about once or twice) a week because of the sugar content. Also not sure if it's a good idea for really fussy hay eaters in case it makes them worse (ie less inclined to eat "normal hay") unless you gradually reduce the amount of fruit over time.

Ooh the grated apple is a good idea, I have heard of spraying hay lightly with apple juice but I fear that the sugar would be quite high plus you dont really want soggy hay :(
I figured best to just not add anything as I didnt want to make her worse, like you say!

I do add forage to her hay but she tends to find all the good bits and leave the hay lol typical!

I am hoping she continues with the Oat wheat barley hay as it's making her poos lovely and big n golden lol.. My boyfriend thinks im a wierdo.. Just a happy bunny mama ;D

thanks for the advice :D

No worries! :D I'm a real beginner when it comes to rabbits (only adopted Scrappy at the end of September and have never owned a rabbit before!). I'm a bit obsessed with getting her to eat loads of hay as she has had issues with her teeth (both before and straight after I got her) so I try as many different methods as I can! I did sort of nick the idea about the apple from the spray on apple juice, but, like you, I was a bit concerned about the added sugar.

I'm obsessed with her poo as well - think it's an inevitable part of owning a bunny :lol:

Ooh, why are bunnies so darn fussy?

Glad you had success at last though.... phew!!!!

Fee xxx

Back