• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The unusual story of why Indi was not spayed....

Alibunbun

Warren Scout
I'm not sure if this has ever poped up in a rabbit before on the forum, but Indi was not spayed today during her op, as the vet could not find her uterus. She is not a male, but does not have the female parts in tact either... The vet said it was most likely failed development of the uterus. There is a slim chance one could develop in future, but it's highly unlikely.

Naturally I also feel awful watching her uncomfortable now, seen as there was no reason for the op :( but none of us could have known that. She has a check up either tomorrow or Christmas Eve. She just looks very miserable :( has eaten two fenugreek crunches and some carrot and a few pieces of hay but not her pellets, which is very unusual for her as her breathes in her food in minutes. Trying to keep her as comfy and warm as possible.

Anyway I just thought it made for an unusual story and was wondering if anything similar has ever happened?

Poor Indi.I hope she is more comfortable soon.Did the vet give you Metacam to give her?

I have heard of this before (might even have been on the forum) but im assuming its quite rare.

Healing vibes being sent for little Indi.x

How curious. Poor little sausage - not your fault though.

I believe Sky-O has a hermaphrodite rabbit, although I forget which, erm, bits are present and which aren't. But she might know some more about that kind of thing.

Hoep Indi is feeling more comfortable soon!

I used to have a hermaphrodite bun, Josie. No testicles and no uterus or ovaries found when they tried to spay her. Her bowel and cecum were found to be deformed too when they went hunting for a uterus. Externally she looked somewhere in between a male and female.

There was also Baby Chess who was born with a deformed back leg. No uterus was found during her spay, but a tiny one was found during the post mortem.

I think the recovery time can be a bit longer than a normal spay when the vet has had to spend extra time poking around in there. Regular pain relief will help. Hope Indi is feeling better soon xx

My local rescue had a permanent resident that we used to sponsor and he/she had no boy/girl parts either.

Thank you for the vibes, she is looking much happier this morning :) moving around and eating her pellets and hay. It is quite a curious thing! Now I'm just unsure as to whether she can have babies, obviously I don't want her too but it makes it a bit difficult when looking to adopt a male bun as her companion because technically she isn't spayed :?

We weren't given any pain relief and I did ask about it, but the vet said she had a pain relief injection that lasts 24 hours and a gut stimulant. She has a check up tomorrow or in a few days and I will ask again about the metacam. At the moment she seems her normal happy self. She got a nice warm, snugly bed as her early Christmas first so has been dozing in that.

Maybe she's just the Christmas miracle rabbit :lol:

Poor little girl, I hope she feels better soon.

When looking for a husbun for her it should be fine if you get a male who's already been neutered. :)

You definitely need to go back and demand pain relief, the pain wi last longer than 24hours. Also agree that a neuteted male will be fine as a partner :) hope she recovers soon!

I'll make sure to ask for it at her check up :) I've actually already been inquiring about a little neutered boy from the RSPCA :love: So if that turns out as planned hopefully I'll have a new bun by the end of January!

Back