• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yes or No to ladders??

Toofluffy

New Kit
Hi! We lost one bunny (Harry) and his brother Hector came indoors with an eye infection so I am keeping him indoors for the rest of the winter. I am currently brainstorming/researching the best accommodation to build for the Springtime, for outside. I have looked at second hand wooden playhouses, thanks for the recommendation on here! Also I am still after a plan to possibly build a huge hutch with my father in law with plans from The Hutch Man.. haven't managed to make contact yet.

My question is... ladders.. I have read that they are dangerous for rabbits legs, twisting them on their way down etc, but I see plenty of 2 storey hutches in the "recommended" literature and am unsure if they are ideal or not..

Whats the expert rabbity consensus?

Anyone had or heard of injuries?

Single storey better?

Thanks!
Sam

I wouldn't use ladders. Most 2 storey hutches have a ramp, I've had ramps in my hutches and haven't had problems, but you need to make sure they aren't too steep or narrow and they need to have room at the top and bottom to get on and off. Having said that my 2 outdoor pair could jump up/down without using the ramp :lol: (but they are very energetic bunnies)

Hi! We lost one bunny (Harry) and his brother Hector came indoors with an eye infection so I am keeping him indoors for the rest of the winter. I am currently brainstorming/researching the best accommodation to build for the Springtime, for outside. I have looked at second hand wooden playhouses, thanks for the recommendation on here! Also I am still after a plan to possibly build a huge hutch with my father in law with plans from The Hutch Man.. haven't managed to make contact yet.

My question is... ladders.. I have read that they are dangerous for rabbits legs, twisting them on their way down etc, but I see plenty of 2 storey hutches in the "recommended" literature and am unsure if they are ideal or not..

Whats the expert rabbity consensus?

Anyone had or heard of injuries?

Single storey better?

Thanks!
Sam

Ladders are a definite no-no, but you might mean ramps! Ramps are okay but a few modifications would make things easier - they can't be very steep at all, they need to be nice and wide (preferably wide enough for 2 bunnies to go past each other), they need solid sides/bannisters and they need either batons or carpet etc to create a grippy surface. Injuries from ramps with no bannisters can happen very frequently.

Most rabbits will prefer to jump up to a second level, so if you are building a hutch/playhouse from scratch then simply providing a small house type thing for them to jump onto and then they can jump up to the second story from there would be great.

I think rabbits do appreciate having different levels in their enclosure so I would try to accommodate that. I really love the idea of having a level up to a window so that the bunnies can look out!

Another no vote for ladders and yes for ramps. Or depending on the height between levels maybe a box to act as a step

DOH! Of course I mean ramps sorry.... slight addled mind block there.. thanks for your replies.
I want to do the best job I can and make a house that will last,
sorry.. can't believe I wrote ladders..

DOH! Of course I mean ramps sorry.... slight addled mind block there.. thanks for your replies.
I want to do the best job I can and make a house that will last,
sorry.. can't believe I wrote ladders..

:lol: It's easy done :D I had a feeling you meant ramps, because I'm not sure how any bunny would navigate ladders! Mine can't even figure out how to get down a set of stairs :roll:

:lol: It's easy done :D I had a feeling you meant ramps, because I'm not sure how any bunny would navigate ladders! Mine can't even figure out how to get down a set of stairs :roll:

Totally easy done, we all do it :wave:

Mine like wooden stools / small tables as jump up platforms, from which they can survey their world. ( shed dwelling Buns though.. it's okay if they get a bit messy, hay wise )
They do have a ramp from the lower to upper level of their bedroom, I put lots of hay in there and they sculpt / pad it out as they see fit.. it is gently sloping and in their secure zone.
I REALLY want to build a ramp up to the window, but, like you, not quite sure yet how they would deal with it. EveryBun is different, but for now, mine do enjoy their jump up platforms. They not sooo keen on the ramp.

Best of luck, keep posting :thumb:

Last edited:
Back