• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating hay but no pellets

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
My rabbit is eating his hay fine but is refusing pellets and treats. He has nibbled carrots though?

It started Friday eve when he ate but not with enthusiasm. We called the vets and they said to keep an eye on him and bring him in sat if no change. By sat am he was wolfing down kale and hay and back to his usually self. We gave him some metacam and ranitidine Friday eve too.

Then sat night he refused pellets. We called the on call vets who was a bit like "well he has nibbled hay" and was relaxant to see him advising we call Monday. We have him more ranitidine ad metacam and have given him lots of hay. He has also nibbled a carrot this morning but is not his usual playful self.

We have book to see vet at 915 but our normal vet isn't. In today so I don't know if they will be any help.

I don't know what else to do. He hasn't eaten anything weird or that he hasn't had before. We did go near a friends dog and he hates dogs on sat but this was after the first time he was off and the dog wasn't at our house and he didn't see it. I'm also regularly near another dog and he isn't too fussed by that. He has hay all day everyday. Today his friend has started to withdraw too and I'm getting quite worried
Advice appreciated?

Last edited:
Could be his teeth? Is the vet you will be seeing rabbit savvy? If not it might be best to post asking for recommendations in your area :thumb: hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Thanks! Me too. I thought teeth but he ate carrot? He is also nibbling a wicker tube under the bed. It sounds weird but he is just not his usual self and not eating pellets or treats. There is poop in the tray and I have seen him do the thing where they eat their soft poop (can't spell) yest so I think something is going through but can't understand his reluctance. Esp for such a food monster. :(

That does sound odd. You'd have thought he wouldn't be eating at all with teeth trouble (had two dental bunnies this year), but he's chewing things & eating hay :? So I wouldn't have thought stasis either. But, you know what your rabbits are usually like and if they're not their normal selves, it's better safe than sorry. Id rather be a paranoid hypochondriac bunny mummy than the alternative so you're doing the right thing going to the vet. Hope it's nothing serious!

Vet said we are doing everything and to keep going until tomorrow eve and then look at a dental if not eating by then. He had tiny sharp barbs but has had them since we got him. And she said normally they wouldn't consider dental for him but with him not eating to consider it. :(

I have no idea what to do. She said his tummy felt normal.

Back