• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Causes of a fever

Dieselsmum

Warren Scout
I really don't know what I would do without this forum for advice [emoji4]

I have an 18 month old bun. In his short life he has had a broken jaw and two cases of GI stasis. Well this past week I noticed he wasn't himself so I made an appointment for a check up on Friday.

Vet checked him over and said he had a temp of just over 40.

There are no obvious issues, he is still eating, drinking, pooping ok but I just had a feeling he wasn't quite right.

He was given antibiotics and pain killer injections as well as medication for him until later this week.

My question is, can buns just feel unwell with a temp for no apparent reason? He does appear much better since the meds started so I'm not overly worried now but just curious as to why this would happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A raised temperature generally indicates the presence of a bacterial or viral infection somewhere. I hope that he continues to improve now :)

Thank you! He has baytril and loxicom. Do you think this is the right treatment? I get so worried considering his history

Thank you! He has baytril and loxicom. Do you think this is the right treatment? I get so worried considering his history

Baytril is a good broad spectrum antibiotic, the Loxicom is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory which also has antipyretic properties (reduces a fever) xx

Thank you! I think he's doing better. He has a follow up appointment tomorrow but the vet said I could cancel if he was better. I'm tempted to still take him to check his temp but don't want to stress him out. Arghhhh, rabbits are worse than children [emoji23]

Me again. Just to follow up on my previous post, I didn't take diesel to the vet yesterday as he was back to his normal self. However, today, I noticed he was leaving little brown smudge marks wherever he was laying. I picked him up and had a look at his bum and was shocked to see it covered in poop. It was a bit runny. I cleaned him up the best I can and rang the vets for advice. I have an appointment at 6.

In general he is fine, eating, drinking etc.

Could this be related to his fever, or perhaps a reaction to his meds?

Last edited:
Me again. Just to follow up on my previous post, I didn't take diesel to the vet yesterday as he was back to his normal self. However, today, I noticed he was leaving little brown smudge marks wherever he was laying. I picked him up and had a look at his bum and was shocked to see it covered in poop. It was a bit runny. I cleaned him up the best I can and rang the vets for advice. I have an appointment at 6.

In general he is fine, eating, drinking etc.

Could this be related to his fever, or perhaps a reaction to his meds?

It could be a combination of both. Hope the appointment goes well this afternoon xx

Thank you!

I just cleaned out his litter tray and notice what I think may be blood in his urine spots. There also looks like what I can only describe as sludge!? Needless to say, I'm panicked now and rang the vets to see if I could get an earlier appointment. Being seen at 3.50 x

Back