• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Came home with 4 new babies today (ratties!)

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
So after I sadly lost Theodore at 2 to health problems Blu was left alone so I was on the look out for an older male to keep him company but hadn't found any up to date. I wasn't going to get younger ratties as I'm trying not to take on any more pets with being at Uni but that didn't last when I saw these babies today. We thought about just getting two but couldn't decide which so went for all four instead! :lol: Not sure on their age but they're young. So they are now named Rick, Glenn, Daryl and Hershel :lol: and are now in the bath meeting Blu, and all is going well. Going to give Blu's cage a clean and change around then pop them in. I can tell the babies are going to be very mischeavous but lots of fun already :love:

Rick

Meeting Blu

Daryl is the black hooded

Hershel

Glenn

They are so cute! :love: Does Blu like his new friends? Do you have to bond rats or do they just become friends as soon as they meet?

Squeeee! Baby ratties! :love:

They are so gorgeous! I'm a bit jealous, our bunch (all 11 of them) are grown up boys now and I do miss having babies around.

Do you have to bond rats or do they just become friends as soon as they meet?
You do have to bond, but it's generally an easier process than with rabbits. It's usually a case of popping them all into a clean bath one at a time and letting them work out the pecking order (introducing babies to adults is MUCH easier, introducing adults to adults can take longer sometimes). After that it's a case of having them all in a small cage with no furnishings for a week or so, until they've properly bonded.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. They are wonderful. Hope they all settle well and that Blu accepts them.

Thank you. Since they were fine in the bath for a couple of hours but Rick kept jumping out into us and kept trying to explore I moved them into Blu's cage but after a good clean, change around and no furniture but a rope and a sputnik and they were fine although the babies had a few scuffles between themselves and Glenn kept humping Blu which got the others involved a bit but they've settled now with Blu, Rick and Hershel in the sputnik and Daryl and Glenn are still wandering about but I put some bedding in and they seem to be making a nest for themselves. I think Rick has bonded the most with Blu, with Glenn being a bit of a trouble maker!

ETA: I'm still not set on their names, I don't think they suite them as well when I say them individually but we wanted a group themed name so though the walking dead, our favourite programme!

Thank you :D All is going well between them thankfully, feeding time is a bit hectic! The cage is on the top of the bunnies crate and I take my eyes off them all for a second whilst putting food in and they're on the crate, the floor, my bed, anywhere they can get to :lol:

Back