• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help? Did My rabbit Get an electric Shock?

d2007ave

Young Bun
Hi,

I'm a little worried about our rabbit. He was loose in our living room and he managed to get access to the cable of the new aquarium which had not been fully bunny proofed quite yet. Initially i did not see anything wrong with the bunny, but when i went to turn on the lights on teh aquarium, they would not turn on.

On inspection the cable was badly knawed with both the brown and blue wires exposed to the copper albeit maybe not at the same place.

Now tommy the rabbit seems fine, eating, drinking, bathroom as normal, the only thing that i could see was maybe one ear was hanging down different to the way i thought it used to. Now this may be that i was not fully aware how the ear used to hang, or maybe its different... His ears still both go upright and he has full movement. He also has no burn marks on him anwhere, inc in the mouth or ears.

Tommy tends to be a very scared rabbit so i would have thought if he had been shocked we would have seen him scared somewhere but nothing.

Im not sure if anything happend? do you think he has had a shock or has he been lucky.

Ps i see no small signs of pain, even when he comes to me if i rub his head the way he likes he grinds his teeth with pleasure.

Dont know what to think, any views greatly appreciated

I don't know but all I can tell you is that Louie has chewed through an Internet cable, numerous phone and laptop cables and an extension lead and hasn't been electrocuted.

I'm no expert, but I would think you'd know if he'd been shocked, I would guess he'd have burn marks at the least. If he's ok I wouldn't worry :D

I would keep a close eye on him. Whilst unlikely it is possible that in some cases of electric shock internal damage can occur and the effects are insidious, manifesting themselves a few days after the accident. This particularly applies to a shock sustained from an electric cable. It can damage the capillaries of the lungs which leads to pulmonary oedema (fluid on the lungs)

It really does not sound as though your Rabbit has come to any harm,he would probably not be behaving completely normally if he had sustained a severe shock. But it is wise to keep an extra close eye on him for the next few days.

Thank you to everyone for your time and replies. They have certainly gone some way to putting my mind to rest, although im still really confused to what happend and Tommy's slightly drooped ear....

Tommy does still seem to be fine, no changes and close to 48hrs has passed.
Hopefully he is fine, thank you

Hi I just wanted to give a little update on Tommy, nothing bad seemed to develop over the past two weeks, so we are thankfull, only little change maybe in the past two weeks is he seems to have lost some weight, but we will watch him,

good night

Glad to hear all is well! It's very rare for a rabbit to get an electric shock chewing through wires, but you were right to be concerned!

Back